Re: Gonda Family

  • vckhngmn
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
      It appears folks have gotten you on the correct path to see who is
      left in the homeland. There are translators around that would help
      you write the letter you need to send, or conversely, if you have
      letters from the homeland to the states. Another gap you mentioned
      was trying to find when one of the Gonda's actually arrived in
      Cleveland. Check the City Directories and also the Cleveland Public
      Library's Necrology File at http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?
      sessionid=01-2517-918767942 it gives obiturary info over a long
      period of time. That file may help you locate a relative that is
      still alive that can help fill in some of the gaps. Don't forget
      also, if you have access to the Census to check to see if the Gonda
      you are looking for is a roomer or boarder at some address in
      Cleveland in a house of another relative or a close neighboring house
      that had a room available. Good luck. -- In SLOVAK-
      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jody Gonda <jodygonda4@...> wrote:

      > Thank you! This information gives me hope that I may find my
      relatives yet. I have 2 pages of addresses, taken from my husband's
      Aunt's address book. One couple that is listed, my husband's
      relatives did visit often - I think they are cousins. Unfortunately
      for me, I have been told that they do not speak English; Apolonia and
      Viktor Pisut. I have been told "they are friendly folks with lots
      of contacts and good memories--but they know no English (Viktor
      knows "Row, Row Your Boat"--we sang it many times one evening with
      great gusto)". I would like to try writing them once again, but am
      afraid the language is a barrier - I don't speak Hungarian and they
      don't speak English! How can I get past this so my letter will be
      answered? It's been about 20 years, so I am not sure they are even
      at this same address. Here is the address: (not sure of spelling)

      > Stefan Pisut aj Vlad
      > Zabiedovo 25
      > 02701 P.Trstena
      > Okres, Dolny Kubin, Czechoslovakia
      >
      > Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:
      > Welcome to the group.
      > I did some quick searches and have this for you on Kriva. In the
      Region of Zilina, District of Dolny Kubin. Telephone Area Code. 43.
      It is on highway E77 / 59 57km / 34 miles NE of Martin. The nearest
      large town is Dolny Kubin 19 km / 11miles SW of Kriva on E77 / 59.
      The population Kriva in 2005 was 794. In 2001 Kriva was 99.23% Roman
      Catholic, it had 202 houses of which 168 were permanently occupied.
      The online telephone directory lists 16 Gonda names. None in Kriva,
      but 6 in Dolyny Kubin.
      > Michael Mojher

      Albano
      > (USS Alabama). Ship came to NYC and from there I find him in NJ for
      > short time. He eventually went to Cleveland, Ohio - although I
      don't
      > know when exactly.
      > m: Veronika Pisut in Cuyahoga Co., Ohio on 27 Jan 1902.
      > Declaration of Intention was in Ciuahoga Co., Ohio 14 July 1909.
      > Census: 1900,1910, and 1920 have him in Cleveland, Ohio.
      > d: 21 May 1963 - Cleveland, Ohio
      >
      > Now, his daughters would correspond and visit with relatives in
      Kriva.
      > I don't have anything to prove this, but Josef (Joseph)parents were
      > George and Rozalia (Bastic) Gonda. There were 3 children; Joseph,
      Anna
      > (married a Joseph Schablatura and they have 1 son, Peter), and a
      John