Re: [S-R] Gonda Family

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      Welcome to the group.
      I did some quick searches and have this for you on Kriva. In the Region of Zilina, District of Dolny Kubin. Telephone Area Code. 43. It is on highway E77 / 59 57km / 34 miles NE of Martin. The nearest large town is Dolny Kubin 19 km / 11miles SW of Kriva on E77 / 59. The population Kriva in 2005 was 794. In 2001 Kriva was 99.23% Roman Catholic, it had 202 houses of which 168 were permanently occupied. The online telephone directory lists 16 Gonda names. None in Kriva, but 6 in Dolyny Kubin.
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
        >The population Kriva in 2005 was 794. In 2001 Kriva was 99.23% Roman
        >Catholic, it had 202 houses of which 168 were permanently occupied.

        Where do you find current information like this for a town?

        Thanks,

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
          The website for Slovak town statistics is: www.statistics.sk/mosmis/eng/run.html
          Michael Mojher
          >The population Kriva in 2005 was 794. In 2001 Kriva was 99.23% Roman
          >Catholic, it had 202 houses of which 168 were permanently occupied.

          Where do you find current information like this for a town?

          Thanks,

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

        • Jody Gonda
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
            Thank you! This information gives me hope that I may find my relatives yet. I have 2 pages of addresses, taken from my husband's Aunt's address book. One couple that is listed, my husband's relatives did visit often - I think they are cousins. Unfortunately for me, I have been told that they do not speak English; Apolonia and Viktor Pisut. I have been told "they are friendly folks with lots of contacts and good memories--but they know no English (Viktor knows "Row, Row Your Boat"--we sang it many times one evening with great gusto)". I would like to try writing them once again, but am afraid the language is a barrier - I don't speak Hungarian and they don't speak English! How can I get past this so my letter will be answered? It's been about 20 years, so I am not sure they are even at this same address. Here is the address: (not sure of spelling)

            Stefan Pisut aj Vlad
            Zabiedovo 25
            02701 P.Trstena
            Okres, Dolny Kubin, Czechoslovakia

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007
              It appears folks have gotten you on the correct path to see who is
              left in the homeland. There are translators around that would help
              you write the letter you need to send, or conversely, if you have
              letters from the homeland to the states. Another gap you mentioned
              was trying to find when one of the Gonda's actually arrived in
              Cleveland. Check the City Directories and also the Cleveland Public
              Library's Necrology File at http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?
              sessionid=01-2517-918767942 it gives obiturary info over a long
              period of time. That file may help you locate a relative that is
              still alive that can help fill in some of the gaps. Don't forget
              also, if you have access to the Census to check to see if the Gonda
              you are looking for is a roomer or boarder at some address in
              Cleveland in a house of another relative or a close neighboring house
              that had a room available. Good luck. -- In SLOVAK-