Re: [S-R] Name endings

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Carl:

      I think you might be on the right track, but I would also recommend some
      caution too. When you transcribe the records, I would recommend that you keep
      the names exactly as transcribed. Sometimes, the little details may help you
      distinguish between individuals of the same name. The reason that I say this
      is that in my extended BALOGA (BALOG) clan, my great, great, great
      grandfather MATHIAS BALOGA was married to a woman named ANNA (the names that appeared
      on my great, great grandfather JOANNES BALOGA's baptismal record), and when
      another cousin found a MATHIAS BALOGA and an ANNA JENCSA, the cousin
      incorrectly concluded that ANNA JENCSA was our great, great, great grandmother. As it
      turned out, in the early 1800's, there were handful of men in my extended
      BALOGA (BALOG) family with the name MATHIAS BALOGA who were married to women
      named ANNA, and ANNA JENCSA turned out to be the wrong ANNA. For this reason,
      and many similar reasons, I always urge some caution. With that being said,
      you may be very well on the right track

      In regard to the letters -VJE at the end of the surname JANKOVJE, they
      additional letters appear to be two different but linked suffixes -- the V (which
      appears to be part of a typical Slavic possessive suffix -OV) and the suffix
      -JE which appears to be Hungarian. In regard to there is a -JE suffix, it is
      attached to personal names in certain formal or official manners. Please
      see the following link regarding Hungarian grammar.

      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_grammar) .

      The section about the -JE suffix is in the middle of the article. I think
      that it may help a little. I would also recommend that in regard to the other
      JANKO families, that you keep track of those records as well, so that you
      can, if and when the evidence presents itself, to rule certain persons out,
      etc. I would also recommend keeping track of the witnesses to the marriage, if
      they are listed. When the records start to get vague and sketchy, every bit
      of evidence helps to put the puzzle together. This particularly helped in my
      HRONEC family where my great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC (married
      to CATHERINE KREDATUS) moved from ROZNAVA to several villages in the SPIS
      region. When I first found his records in MLYNICA parish in the High Tatras, it
      appeared that he was the grandfather of my grandmother' VERONIKA HRONEC (as
      he had lived in the same house where she had subsequently been born). After
      tracking all of the HRONEC records, including to other villages as various
      records indicated, I found that my grandmother's grandfather was actually
      another JAN HRONEC who was married to ANNA HARBALY (HORBALY), and their marriage
      record showed a MICHAEL KREDATUS as one of the witnesses to the marriage. The
      first JAN HRONEC (married to CATHERINE KREDATUS) was his father, and my
      grandmother's great grandfather. By the way, her father's name was also JAN
      HRONEC (married to MARIA HARENCSAR). So after this discovery, I am always
      careful about assumptions. Every piece of evidence is a clue, and while working
      hypothesis and theories are very good and necessary, a wrong assumption may
      lead you on a wild goose chase or the proverbial brick wall. I hope all of
      this helps a little..

      Best regards,