Oublas or Ublas province

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi group,
      Has anybody heard about a so called "Oublas" or "Ublas" province in
      Polish Galicia during the period 1770-1800.
      I have not found any bearing this name.I think it may be a dramatic
      rendition by a French civil servant of an unclear handwriting
      for "Lublin".
      Any suggestion will be appreciated.

      Jacques
    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        Dear Jacques,

        Is the text in french?

        What makes you think this name should stand for a province?

        In some slavic languages the word OBLAST is used for province.

        Best,

        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <konekta@...> wrote:

          > Dear Jacques,
          >
          > Is the text in french?
          >
          > What makes you think this name should stand for a province?
          >
          > In some slavic languages the word OBLAST is used for province.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Vladimir
          >

          > Dear Vladimir,

          Thank you for your prompt answer.Yes, the text is in French.It is
          clearly stated in it that this ancestor and his father were born
          in "d├ępartement d'Oublas"(Oublas department or county).The words
          usually used in Polish are not related with "oblast".
          Best regards

          Jacques

          ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On