Re: [S-R] Doubts about church records KOKAVA

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi Maria

      If you come across a STRELKA family in your lineage, please let me know, as
      I know a STRELKA family whose ancestors were from KOKOVA NAD RIMACOU that I
      can put you in touch with.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga
      Cleveland, Ohio

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1 2:48 PM

        >- I cannot tell you the population at that time
        >because I still haven't received the census
        >microfilm. Today there are 3117 people living
        >there. So, yes, 150 years ago I'd say there were
        >less than 1,000 inhabitants. Concerning the
        >number of churches: "The others sacral monuments
        >are Roman Catholic church from 1820, chapel at
        >Kukucínová street from 1847 and Jewishly synagogue from 1912" (www.gemer.org).

        If you like, I can scan and email to you the
        entry from this town from Vlastivedny Slovak Obci
        na Slovensku; it indicates that the population of
        Kokava nad Rimavicou (which seems to include
        quite a few hamlets) was 3949 in 1869, 3314 in
        1880, 3661 in 1890, and it keeps growing from there.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4 3:39 PM
          First, It's not strange to see records kind of cobbled together. In many
          churches there were two sets of records kept, one local and one for the
          bishop. When collected by the Hungary government in 1895, some, not all
          came together in one place Again, not always.

          Second, different churches had different schemes for recording information,
          even though the higher ups had given specific instructions to the contrary.
          Rural churches were the most non-conforming. Often times, the b, m, and D
          records are separate sections, until they "run out of room" and have to
          start somewhere else.
          Third, not all records survived for a multitude of reasons. For every
          village there is probably a different explanation. Some may have been lost,
          some misplaced, some misfiled.

          These missing records are a clue, as you have eluded to. I am fairly
          confident that the FHL has recorded every church record the Slovak state
          archives has.

          Sometimes the priest indeed was gone for a few years, but that was about it.
          Have you looked at neighboring villages? According to the slovak state
          archive cross-reference, there are Reformed church records (of Kokava) in
          the Rimavska Sobota village records. This is in addition to the primary
          church records you have found. Have you looked there?

          See my other note on "family movements" with regards to answering your other
          questions about how far back church records go.

          You also need to look at the village history, to be certain some major event
          had not affected the village recordkeeping. I can send you the brief
          village history from "mesta a obce" if you want. I'm really quite busy
          right now and can't offer too much more of my time. I'd look locally before
          you try to cast your net too wide.
          If you can't find a village history, finding one of a nearby larger village
          or region can be helpful also.

          Your village was in GEMER (Gomor) county, Lom nad Rimavicou (Rimaszombati )
          district. Kokava was a pretty significant village in 1910 when these
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg maps were drawn. In that
          district was a village called Esztrény (see
          http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g124.shtml ) That's a wild goose, in my opinion,
          doesn't mean anything, but it's an idea. I still think it's an
          abbreviation.

          Many times abbreviations are local in origin. What time period did the
          "EST" abbreviation exist. Try to seek out possible word formations in
          Magyar or Slovak or whatever language the church books are rendered in. It
          sure seems like it would be "estimated". Can you can and post/mail a sample
          page? Sometimes seeing it reveals a lot more than a transcription.

          You are taking a lot of initiative and asking great questions.
          I wish my answers could be more "meaty." I'm really short on time to devote
          to forums for the next couple of months, but feel free to keep the questions
          coming, and remind me from time to time.

          Regards,

          Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4 6:14 PM
              If DRAVCI is the same village as DRAVTSI in UZHHOROD county, I have a
              book entry and 1996 photo of the church of the Nativity of the BVM, built
              in 1806. I would be happy to scan and email you a copy later this week.
              Source: Churches of Ukraine Zakarpattia, Syrokhman, 2000.
              That's all I have. I have no civil information on the village.
              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4 6:33 PM
                Yes Bill, this is the same village. Thanks for the offer of the photo of the Church, but that's not neccessary - a few years ago I hired a Slovak photographer, Milos Kraynak, to take some pictures of Dravci. Thanks for trying!!! Chris

                Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote: If DRAVCI is the same village as DRAVTSI in UZHHOROD county, I have a

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4 6:58 PM
                  I presume you have the historical information on the church and need not
                  that either then?
                  Regards,
                  Bill

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4 7:10 PM
                    All I have is that it was built in 1806 - if you have anything else, I'd appreciate it!!!!!!

                    Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote: I presume you have the historical information on the church and need not

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5 5:11 AM
                      There are 2-3 paragraphs of history about the church (and undoubtedly the
                      village). It's written in Ukrainian. I can scan and send it to you
                      sometimes this week. Look for an email from me with an attachment
                      Tues/Wed. I hope I have your email somewhere. If possible, send me a
                      private message with your address.

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 10 3:43 PM
                        DRAWCE = UNGDAROK

                        1910 Census
                        pop 1103: 754 magyar, 49 slovak, 297 Ruthene. 125 Roman C., 867 Greek C, 98
                        Jews

                        Bill

                        --
                        Bill Tarkulich