RE: [S-R] Re: Grajcar surname

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
      The reason that you found Grajczar is that "cz" is an old (obsolete)
      Hungarian letter that is now replaced by a simple "c." It is pronounced
      "ts."

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
        Greetings,

        I have the surname GREITZER in my family (they spoke Slovak, were Roman Catholic, and settled in the southwestern Pennsylvania town of Connellsville, in Fayette County in the 1890s).

        Could this be the phonetic equivalent of GRAJCAR or GRAJCZAR?

        Thank you,
        Marilyn Sandorf

        Researching: SANDORFY, MACEJOVSKY (MATEOSKY), RONDZIK, PLACO (PLACHKO)

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
          Marilyn,

          A German phonetic spelling, that is. Could your ancestors have been
          originally Germans who became Slovaks over the centuries? After all,
          there was a strong native German population in Eastern Slovakia since
          the 12th-13th centuries.

          Thomas