Re: [S-R] Latin terms

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:
      >Thanks very much David. I checked and this does fit with other
      information I have on the earlier dates of deaths of the individuals
      referred to as "condam" in the marriage records.
      Thanks again,
      Carl

      > The word CONDAM -- a phonetic alternative spelling of QUONDAM -- in
      Latin
      > means the "FORMER" or "LATE" Here's a quick link:
      >
      > _http://www.answers.com/topic/quondam_
      (http://www.answers.com/topic/quondam)

      > Best regards,
      >

      > David

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
        Carl,
        If you are in need of a large list of Latin words used in genealogy it can be reached at this link:
        www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/rg/guide/WLLatin.asp
        Michael Mojher
        >Thanks very much David. I checked and this does fit with other
        information I have on the earlier dates of deaths of the individuals
        referred to as "condam" in the marriage records.
        Thanks again,
        Carl

        > The word CONDAM -- a phonetic alternative spelling of QUONDAM -- in
        Latin
        > means the "FORMER" or "LATE" Here's a quick link:
        >
        > _http://www.answers.com/topic/quondam_
        (http://www.answers.com/topic/quondam)

        > Best regards,
        >

        > David

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
          Michael,
          Thanks very much for the list of Latin words. It is the most
          comprehensive that I have seen. But, I do not think that I would
          have found my word without David's help because it was spelled
          phonetically. So, I'm not sure I would have found that "condam" was
          really "quandam" using a dictionary. Nevertheless, I really
          appreciate this link and also the assistance provided by members of
          this group.
          thanks again,
          Carl

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          wrote:

          > Carl,
          > If you are in need of a large list of Latin words used in
          genealogy it can be reached at this link:
          > www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/rg/guide/WLLatin.asp
          > Michael Mojher

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
            I looked in that Latin word list (which I agree is very good), but it did
            not give the "alternate" spelling of "condam" for "quondam." I, too, was
            happy for the information.

            Janet

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
              Carl,
              The internet is a genealogist "library". But it takes intelligence, as David has demonstrated, to be able to use what it contains. The power of Slovak-Roots is having a collective intellect to help the individual. I hope the link to Latin genealogy terms will aide all of us.