latin terms

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2007
      I have been trying to translate some marriage records that are
      written in Latin. But I cannot find the meaning of a couple of words
      and was hoping that someone in the group would know what they mean.
      I have tried several Latin dictionaries without any luck.

      In these church records, the marriages show the names of the bride
      and groom and indicate if they are single (juvenis/virgin)or
      widowed. If they are single, the parents names follow and indicate
      if they were a son (filius) or daughter (filia). Many but not all of
      the parents have a word before the father's name which appears to
      be "condam". Sometimes it is between the father's 1st name and
      surname. Sometimes it is with the mother's name. Does anyone know
      what that word would be?

      If the man was a widow, the man's deseased wife is shown with the
      word "viduus" or "widow of" before her name. If the woman was
      previously married, her deceased husband has the word "derelicta"
      before his name which I assume means "left behind" or another way to
      indicate "widow of".

      Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on what "condam" means.

      CK