Re: Grajcar surname

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
      One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
      Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
      option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
      advice you receive here will be confirmed.

      Ron
    • fc_popovich
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
        -That's true! That is how I found the "meaning" in Slovak. The spelling
        is just as it was recorded on my great grandfathers death certificate
        with the informant being my great grandmother. Of course that does not
        mean that the typist spelled it correctly.

        I found another variation: Grajczar

        Thanks to all who responded.

        -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

        > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
        > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
        > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
        > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
        >
        > Ron

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
          The reason that you found Grajczar is that "cz" is an old (obsolete)
          Hungarian letter that is now replaced by a simple "c." It is pronounced
          "ts."

          Janet

          _____

          -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
          "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

          > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
          > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
          > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
          > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
          >
          > Ron

        • Marilyn Sandorf
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
            Greetings,

            I have the surname GREITZER in my family (they spoke Slovak, were Roman Catholic, and settled in the southwestern Pennsylvania town of Connellsville, in Fayette County in the 1890s).

            Could this be the phonetic equivalent of GRAJCAR or GRAJCZAR?

            Thank you,
            Marilyn Sandorf

            Researching: SANDORFY, MACEJOVSKY (MATEOSKY), RONDZIK, PLACO (PLACHKO)

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
              Marilyn,

              A German phonetic spelling, that is. Could your ancestors have been
              originally Germans who became Slovaks over the centuries? After all,
              there was a strong native German population in Eastern Slovakia since
              the 12th-13th centuries.

              Thomas