Re: Grajcar surname

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...>
      wrote:

      > Grajcar can mean a corkscrew.
      >
      > Joe

      przedmiotów uwiêz³ych w rurach, lufach;
      > (grajcarek)
      > > korkoci¹g; por. trybuszon.

      Now the last word is totally clear for me.It must be "tyrbuszon"
      instead of "trybuszon",that is "tire-bouchon" in French (same
      pronunciation)= corkscrew.

      Jacques

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
        One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
        Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
        option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
        advice you receive here will be confirmed.

        Ron
      • fc_popovich
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
          -That's true! That is how I found the "meaning" in Slovak. The spelling
          is just as it was recorded on my great grandfathers death certificate
          with the informant being my great grandmother. Of course that does not
          mean that the typist spelled it correctly.

          I found another variation: Grajczar

          Thanks to all who responded.

          -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

          > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
          > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
          > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
          > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
          >
          > Ron

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
            The reason that you found Grajczar is that "cz" is an old (obsolete)
            Hungarian letter that is now replaced by a simple "c." It is pronounced
            "ts."

            Janet

            _____

            -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
            "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

            > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
            > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
            > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
            > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
            >
            > Ron

          • Marilyn Sandorf
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
              Greetings,

              I have the surname GREITZER in my family (they spoke Slovak, were Roman Catholic, and settled in the southwestern Pennsylvania town of Connellsville, in Fayette County in the 1890s).

              Could this be the phonetic equivalent of GRAJCAR or GRAJCZAR?

              Thank you,
              Marilyn Sandorf

              Researching: SANDORFY, MACEJOVSKY (MATEOSKY), RONDZIK, PLACO (PLACHKO)

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
                Marilyn,

                A German phonetic spelling, that is. Could your ancestors have been
                originally Germans who became Slovaks over the centuries? After all,
                there was a strong native German population in Eastern Slovakia since
                the 12th-13th centuries.

                Thomas