Re: Grajcar surname

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...>
      wrote:

      > I suppose your greatgrandmothers maiden name was really Gajcar and
      > not Gracjar as you have written above ?
      > Have a nice day.
      > Jacques

      Hoops !I am really sorry but I have made a "lapsus keyboardi". I
      meant "...really Grajcar and not Gracjar...."
      By for now
      Jacques
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
        Grajcar can mean a corkscrew.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...>
          wrote:

          > Grajcar can mean a corkscrew.
          >
          > Joe

          przedmiotów uwiêz³ych w rurach, lufach;
          > (grajcarek)
          > > korkoci¹g; por. trybuszon.

          Now the last word is totally clear for me.It must be "tyrbuszon"
          instead of "trybuszon",that is "tire-bouchon" in French (same
          pronunciation)= corkscrew.

          Jacques

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
            One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
            Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
            option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
            advice you receive here will be confirmed.

            Ron
          • fc_popovich
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
              -That's true! That is how I found the "meaning" in Slovak. The spelling
              is just as it was recorded on my great grandfathers death certificate
              with the informant being my great grandmother. Of course that does not
              mean that the typist spelled it correctly.

              I found another variation: Grajczar

              Thanks to all who responded.

              -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

              > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
              > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
              > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
              > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
              >
              > Ron

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2007
                The reason that you found Grajczar is that "cz" is an old (obsolete)
                Hungarian letter that is now replaced by a simple "c." It is pronounced
                "ts."

                Janet

                _____

                -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                "amiak27" <rmat@...> wrote:

                > One trick when looking for meanings of names or words is to go to
                > Google and do a search (with the various spellings) under the "Images"
                > option. It is surprising what a person will see. Quite often the
                > advice you receive here will be confirmed.
                >
                > Ron

              • Marilyn Sandorf
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
                  Greetings,

                  I have the surname GREITZER in my family (they spoke Slovak, were Roman Catholic, and settled in the southwestern Pennsylvania town of Connellsville, in Fayette County in the 1890s).

                  Could this be the phonetic equivalent of GRAJCAR or GRAJCZAR?

                  Thank you,
                  Marilyn Sandorf

                  Researching: SANDORFY, MACEJOVSKY (MATEOSKY), RONDZIK, PLACO (PLACHKO)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Marilyn,

                    A German phonetic spelling, that is. Could your ancestors have been
                    originally Germans who became Slovaks over the centuries? After all,
                    there was a strong native German population in Eastern Slovakia since
                    the 12th-13th centuries.

                    Thomas