Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Mormon records

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2000
      Just a thought.
      Wouldn't the availability of an FHC be based upon the number of church
      members? If in Ireland they have a very few members, then there are very
      few people to use the FHC. The FHC is for the church and where the
      church has strong membership, expect strong supporting structure. So,
      I would suggest that success in obtaining converts reflects availability
      of FHC's.

      As info, I work one day a week at my local FHC as a volunteer and I
      consider myself Roman Catholic. This is in Fredericksburg, Virginia and
      they don't have a large membership base and are thus happy to get any help
      they can get. They are happy to have anyone use their facilities but they
      do prioritize church work.

      I have great respect for the Mormon church member, since they do as a rule
      advocate standards that I find admirable. Their young people reflect those
      standards well.

      --

      Regards

      Andy Verostko

      averostko@...

      http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko

    • sabinov@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2000
        I think having a FHC in the area depends on a lot of things,..... but I
        do believe a lot comes down to "cost efficiency", in other words do they
        have enough interest to keep it open and operate not at a loss. Every
        FHC has to do a report periodically on who uses it and whether they are
        church members or not. I used to help with ours and in Mobile we were
        always at least 3/4 non members and 1/4 members using it. (I won't go
        into the recent difficulties with a new director and his plan to
        increase church member involvement, which is definitely not working.)
        Those reports were submitted to SLC for their knowledge and use....
        which leads me to believe that is part of how they know if they need
        another in the area or if one is not feasible any longer.

        Again, all I'm saying is that to me it's a larger decision than just
        'wanting' one there. The LDS are -not- making a profit off the
        microfilms etc, they are not a commercial entity as some genealogy
        companies are who charge to view databases even on line. A new
        microfilm/fiche copy machine like the one our FHC was considering (or
        rather wishing for, as ours has died and been resurrected several times)
        costs over $3,000. Consider what is in a FHC, computers, CD sets,
        microfilm and microfiche readers, plus the usual office stuff, desks,
        filing cabinets, sets of microfiche..... it's not cheap to equip a new
        FHC. Equipment is alloted based on useage and hours open. They also have
        to pay electic bills and such also.

        Now, we're probably boring the majority of the listmembers with
        this..... so maybe it's best if we let the discussion lag, or correspond
        in private. I certainly don't want to turn anyone off with this
        "thread", tho I do think it has genealogical merit as it helps everyone
        understand just how important those records and the FHCs are (I hope).
        :)