borbely/valach/timor /morvay/mojzis family

  • mo6mom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
      I am new to Hungarian research. My own family is French Canadian and
      Irish. I am researching my mother-in-laws family from Zsigard in old
      Hungary. I have copies of some old baptismal certificates to help me
      get started. Is Zsigard in Pozsony county? How do I go about getting
      information? What do I ask for when I approach the Latter Day Saints.
      I am not sure how to begin. can anyone put me in the right direction?
      Please and thank you Maureen
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2007
        >>> I am researching my mother-in-laws family from Zsigard in old
        Hungary. <<<

        >>> Is Zsigard in Pozsony county? <<<
        YES.
        Zsigard, POZSONY MEGYE = county.

        >>> How do I go about getting information? <<<
        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        >>> What do I ask for when I approach the Latter Day Saints. <<<

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
        are available on film via your LDS Family History Center but >>NOT<<
        western Slovakia.

        >>> I am not sure how to begin. can anyone put me in the right
        direction? <<<

        Once you have established the availability of the church records in
        the Slovak Archive, you will need to hire a researcher as these
        records are not yet available via LDS.

        WRITING TO ARCHIVES OR HIRING A RESEARCHER
        For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
        Click on SEARCH
        Click on RESEARCH HELPS
        Click on the letter "C"
        Scroll to the bottom of the page
        Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
        Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List

        GOOD LUCK.
      • mo6mom
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2007
          thank you - this will be more difficult than I had hoped. I guess I
          just have to start digging.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
          wrote:

          > Hungary. <<<

          > YES.
          > Zsigard, POZSONY MEGYE = county.

          > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
          excellent
          > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
          > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
          > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
          > references refer to different religions. Most of these church
          records
          > are available on film via your LDS Family History Center but
          >>NOT<<
          > western Slovakia.

          > direction? <<<
          >
          > Once you have established the availability of the church records
          in
          > the Slovak Archive, you will need to hire a researcher as these
          > records are not yet available via LDS.
          >
          > WRITING TO ARCHIVES OR HIRING A RESEARCHER
          > For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
          > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          > Click on SEARCH
          > Click on RESEARCH HELPS
          > Click on the letter "C"
          > Scroll to the bottom of the page
          > Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing
          Guide
          > Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List
          >
          > GOOD LUCK.

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2007
            >>> thank you - this will be more difficult than I had hoped. I guess I
            just have to start digging. <<<

            No, not more difficult. More expensive. Ot you can wait an
            indeterminate amount of time until LDS has the church records film
            released. How long will that be? Don't ask . . .
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2007
              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg

              Look in the pink area at the right edge to find Zsigard. 48°04' 17°
              54'. That's your village.

              CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
              get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
              likely find in church records.

              CURRENT MAP

              Look up Ziharec (the current village name).

              ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
            • mo6mom
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2007
                the maps are great. I really do appreciate the links as I didn't
                have a clue where I was looking. And so the process begins!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007

                  > just have to start digging. <<<
                  >
                  > No, not more difficult. More expensive. Ot you can wait an
                  > indeterminate amount of time until LDS has the church records film
                  > released. How long will that be? Don't ask . . .

                  If I decided that I needed a researcher, how does one find one? How
                  does the system work? I thank you for all the help
                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29, 2007
                    >>> If I decided that I needed a researcher, how does one find one? How
                    does the system work? <<<

                    You need someone who works near the archive to cut travel time. Check
                    out Peter Nagy at http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/index.html