researching the death index

  • junemckee
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
      I have found several entrys in the death index for Kolina which I have
      been searching at the LDS. My question is that in these entrys they
      only give the deceased name,occupation, book and page. This is in the
      Epjeres Parish Records. I am wondering if anyone would know as to where
      I would go next to find this book and page? Would this be something
      that is only obtained in the Archives?

      Many Thanks,
      June
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
        Since from what you write it sounds like this applies to only some of the
        entries, it might be that the reference is to the location of the baptismal
        record. Sometimes you see the reverse, where the baptismal record will give
        the date of death. I would especially consider this possibility if the death
        record gives the age at death. Sometimes that is all you get-name,
        occupation, age. Sometimes not even occupation.

        Janet

        _____

      • bhewlett@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
          I don't know if this will be of any help, but in the films I viewed for Jolsva they had death and marriage indexes. Somewhere else in the film they had the actual records. Have you viewed all the film(s) to rule out no death records?
          Joyce

          >From: junemckee <junemckee@...>
          >Date: 2007/01/24 Wed PM 04:22:38 CST
          >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [S-R] researching the death index

          >I have found several entrys in the death index for Kolina which I have
          >been searching at the LDS. My question is that in these entrys they
          >only give the deceased name,occupation, book and page. This is in the
          >Epjeres Parish Records. I am wondering if anyone would know as to where
          >I would go next to find this book and page? Would this be something
          >that is only obtained in the Archives?
          >
          >Many Thanks,
          >June

        • June McKee
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
            Janet, Thanks for replying. In checking the book and page referances do not seem to match any of the birth and bapt. records that I have found. The entrys all seem to give just about the same information. In the cases of a child it will give the age and looks for the wife without a occupation it says wife of and then his occupation. Atleast that is the way that I am transulating it. I am just wondering if the book volume and page number they are refering to would have more information on the person.
            thanks,
            june

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
              Joyce, Yes I did view all of the film and others. For some of the entrys I did find other entrys for the same person which gave the standard information that is on all of the birth and bapt. records. I guess what has me stumped is in the indexes they give a book and page but it is not the same as I am seeing on the birth and bapt. records, so that leads me to believe that there is another entry somewhere else.

              thanks for the help
              June
              I don't know if this will be of any help, but in the films I viewed for Jolsva they had death and marriage indexes. Somewhere else in the film they had the actual records. Have you viewed all the film(s) to rule out no death records?
              Joyce

              >From: junemckee <junemckee@...>
              >Date: 2007/01/24 Wed PM 04:22:38 CST
              >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [S-R] researching the death index

              >I have found several entrys in the death index for Kolina which I have
              >been searching at the LDS. My question is that in these entrys they
              >only give the deceased name,occupation, book and page. This is in the
              >Epjeres Parish Records. I am wondering if anyone would know as to where
              >I would go next to find this book and page? Would this be something
              >that is only obtained in the Archives?
              >
              >Many Thanks,
              >June

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
                Dear June,
                If you are looking at the Index you can not expect to give equal information as the original record itself. Index is an index.
                For the actual book check the LDS whether they have it on film.
                Be very careful with Indexes and especially be very careful with death records. For the woman, if it does not say whose wife she was or whose daughter she was, you may end up with a record, which can not be positively assigned to only one person.
                Pros never rely on indexes.
                Transcribe all death records ( not from Index) of your particular surname in a given period, not too short and then do corrobation with what you have.
                Index can sometimes have maiden name sometimes married name. Therefore it is unreliable.
                I often have a lot of explanation to do, when I have to explain, that finding a death of a person can be the most consuming task.
                If I only can, I extract all deaths and have them at my disposal in FTM. But, this usually is the last thing I do.
                Only if I have a marriage of a widower I go and look for the death of first wife immediately from the date of marriage backwards. Only in this case I know, the person did not die after that date.
                Sometimes indexes have dates which are not in the books kept by the archive ( filmed by LDS). Such dates could then be found in civil records in the Town hall.
                Best regards,
                Vladimir

                I have found several entrys in the death index for Kolina which I have
                been searching at the LDS. My question is that in these entrys they
                only give the deceased name,occupation, book and page. This is in the
                Epjeres Parish Records. I am wondering if anyone would know as to where
                I would go next to find this book and page? Would this be something
                that is only obtained in the Archives?

                Many Thanks,
                June

                __________ Informacia od NOD32 2000 (20070123) __________

                http://www.eset.sk

              • James McGrath
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 25, 2007
                  If you are looking at microfilms from the LDS, they
                  normally contain more than one registry book, each of
                  which may be numbered sequentially starting at '1',
                  and so you will often have to scroll through the film
                  to find the page number in question in the right book.
                  Sometimes as a result of the year or other information
                  being given you can find it without much trouble. In
                  other cases, it is harder, but still easier than
                  trying to find names without the index!!!

                  Best wishes,

                  James

                  Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                • June McKee
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 25, 2007
                    Vladimir,
                    Thank you for your help, I will diffently not rely on the death index. I will check to see if the FHL has anything more than I have already looked at on these death records. I have found their marriage and all of the childrens birth records in the films. Several deaths and just need to sort them out.

                    thanks for the help as always