transcribing records

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
      Has anyone transcribed a set of records, eg parish baptismal records
      for their ancestral Slovak village?

      I've started to transcribe the marriage records for one of my Slovak
      villages, as they contain a wealth of information in each entry, and
      it seemed do-able. Rather than typing an exact transcription, I'm
      putting the information into a spreadsheet: a column for groom's
      first name, surname, father's name, mother's name, address,
      age/d.o.b., marital status (eg widower), etc, then same for bride,
      names of witnesses, and other comments in the record.

      Before I get too far into this project, I'd like to hear from someone
      else who's done it. How did you do it, what do you wish you'd done
      differently, was there any info you kept track of as you went along
      (eg for baptisms, the number of births per year or per month of the
      year)? For what purpose and what audience did you transcribe the
      records, and what have you done with the information (eg put it on a
      website)? Are there copyright issues? Etc.

      Thanks for any feedback or advice,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
        Hi Julia,

        Just a quick question. Where did you get the records? I made copies of records from Ireland from LDS films. I asked them the same question regarding copyright issues. I told them I wanted to transcribe them and put them into a free Internet site for people to view. The LDS told me that they were not the original owners and would need to contact them to get permission for me to do that. Although I wrote them about a month ago, I still haven't gotten a response. I just received an email that the LDS is taking on a big project to transcribe their records for their site. If your films are from the LDS, this may be a way to do it legally. I still don't know about the copyright issues.

        From the email I received in another group

        "The LDS Church is putting their vast holdings on the Internet. Anyone
        can help in this project. Look at http://www.familysearchindexing.org/en/index.jsp note that they are asking for volunteers. You can join in this endeavor by signing on. NO
        missionaries will call at your door!!! There is a list of microfilms that are currently being worked on."

        Just a thought. Then, there would be no concern about legal issues.

        Karen

        PS - When I started looking at the records, I did the same. Excel sheet. Do the rows exactly in order of what you are reading. You can swap them around later to make more sense if you need to. I also added a row at the end for notes.

        Good luck

        "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
[...]

      • gkocis
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
          I am making computer files of village Benkovce. It has been a long,
          time-consuming project and I accept the fact that it may never be
          finished. I have transcribed almost 3000 records and estimate that I
          am about 1/3 of the way through the project.

          As to what program to use, I am of the old school that believes that
          data belongs in a data base (I use Microsoft Access) and that Excel
          is for crunching numbers. My daughter considers this thinking
          archaic. She has convinced me, however, that if you are going to put
          all of your data into a single table Excel works almost as well. At
          one time, Access could do more cascade searches that Excel, but that
          may no longer hold true.

          At any rate, be prepared to have a large table. Mine is 2917 rows by
          50 odd columns.

          The other basic consideration is how many tables you want to use. it
          may be easier to create 3 tables, one each for births, marriages and
          deaths. No matter which way you go, make certain that you do you
          table creation on paper first, deciding on how detailed you want to
          be. Remember that the marriage record is the most complicated,
          because you need the groom's parents name, address and status as well
          as the sponsors' status. Also, if this couple has a child, you need
          to make certain that you can differentiate in that table headings
          between the child's parents and the child's parents' parents - if
          that makes any sense.

          1. Before you start, I suggest that you estimate how much data you
          are going to have to transcibe. Marriages are a good place to start
          because those records are the smallest and you will have a chance to
          finish.

          2. When you take a look at birth and death records, the amount of
          data may be overwhelming. Just remember that this is a hobby and
          don't get discouraged when you realize, after 5 years, that there is
          still a pile of data to get through.

          3. People tend to bad mouth paper because it is so ephemeral. Just
          remember, that computer data can disappear in an instant and if you
          do not have the data backed up, your computer may bring the project
          to end end for you. I lost 10 years of records in a computer crash,
          so it does happen.

          Feel free to contact me at my email address if you have eny other
          questions.

          gene kocs

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone transcribed a set of records, eg parish baptismal
          records
          > for their ancestral Slovak village?
          >
          > I've started to transcribe the marriage records for one of my
          Slovak
          > villages, as they contain a wealth of information in each entry,
          and
          > it seemed do-able. Rather than typing an exact transcription, I'm
          > putting the information into a spreadsheet: a column for groom's
          > first name, surname, father's name, mother's name, address,
          > age/d.o.b., marital status (eg widower), etc, then same for bride,
          > names of witnesses, and other comments in the record.
          >
          > Before I get too far into this project, I'd like to hear from
          someone
          > else who's done it. How did you do it, what do you wish you'd done
          > differently, was there any info you kept track of as you went along
          > (eg for baptisms, the number of births per year or per month of the
          > year)? For what purpose and what audience did you transcribe the
          > records, and what have you done with the information (eg put it on
          > website)? Are there copyright issues? Etc.
          >
          > Thanks for any feedback or advice,
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...

        • Dr. Joe Q.
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
            Data back up shouldn't be a consideration any more. There are two kinds
            of people who use computers*:
            Those who have lost data
            Those who will lose data

            (BACK UP)

            With ZIP drives and RAID there is not even a requirement that the user
            do anything.

            (BACK UP)

            After a period of time, the backup (ZIP, RAID, etc.) can be burned to a
            backup disc - floppy, CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.

            (BACK UP)

            Now the data base can be in Access or Excel (anyone remember Lotus
            1-2-3?). You can exchange the two with some aggravation. But prior
            planning of the architecture of the data base is imperative.

            Dr. "Q"

            (BACK UP)

            *(There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those
            who don't)

            (BACK UP)

          • Karen C
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
              Julie,

              I studied Relational Database Management in college. It was a 400 level course where only 2 students out of the 35 in the class received A's. There is nothing archaic about databases. They are extremely powerful if setup correctly. Both excel (for its easy of setup and use) and Access (for it's unlimited ways of showing information) would be sufficient for these records.

              I use Family Tree Maker for my family tree. A very powerful DB. A similar type of setup could be made for birth, marriage and death records. People finding a record in a great DB would find a family tree too.

              Best of luck to both of you,

              Karen

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
                I always transcribe records by hand on paper in the same chronological order as I find them with all the remarks like what I was looking for and which period of time. I save all those paper transcripts and this has helped me often when I wanted later to reconstruct the search process.
                I can only smile at those "modern" searchers, who come to the archive and make a half an hour noise while setting up their laptop and the cable spaghetti. Once you enter data into a program, you come home and you don't know what you found.
                This is not true for Excel or Access, but they are not practical for genealogy. You would still have to transfer those data to a genealogical program.
                In any case, the use of laptop while searching slows down the process.
                Vladimir

                gkocis wrote:

> [...]
                > and
                > > it seemed do-able. Rather than typing an exact transcription, I'm
                > > putting the information into a spreadsheet: a column for groom's
                > > first name, surname, father's name, mother's name, address,
                > > age/d.o.b., marital status (eg widower), etc, then same for bride,
                > > names of witnesses, and other comments in the record.
                > >
                > > Before I get too far into this project, I'd like to hear from
                > someone
                > > else who's done it. How did you do it, what do you wish you'd done
                > > differently, was there any info you kept track of as you went along
                > > (eg for baptisms, the number of births per year or per month of the
                > > year)? For what purpose and what audience did you transcribe the
                > > records, and what have you done with the information (eg put it on
                > > website)? Are there copyright issues? Etc.

                __________ Informacia od NOD32 2000 (20070123) __________

                http://www.eset.sk

              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 23, 2007
                  Dear Julie, when I began years ago, I also began with Access. After 1000 entries I saw it was not very useful. Whatever you pick, it does not show relations( you pick a father and you don't see the children) and the rows are too long to see everything at once.
                  Use FTM and you will be well served.
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 24, 2007
                    Ahoj, Vladimir,

                    For my own family research I do transcribe records by hand; I have
                    even laid the paper on the microfilm viewing surface in front of me
                    to trace a word that is hard to decipher, because often I can later
                    verify or disprove my guess, with comparison to another entry. I
                    save the paper transcriptions even after I enter my information into
                    my genealogy program; you're right, I refer to those paper records
                    again and again.

                    My question was not about transcribing records just for my own family
                    research--two marriages from this year, none from the next, one from
                    the following year--but for transcribing every marriage, in order, in
                    the microfilmed marriage records of a village. That is a different
                    project, with different goals.

                    I wish I had done my paper transcriptions for my own family genealogy
                    a little differently; live and learn! That's why I'm asking for
                    advice and suggestions now, for this project.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 24, 2007
                      Dear Julie,
                      I think,there is no "one size fil all" way to do that.
                      1. You can transcribe the records exactly as they are in Excel table, which would have the same columns as the original. Disadvantage; you can not make a very selective search.
                      2.You can enter marriages in Access with all data found, but it will not look like the original. I do not know, whether you can make tables in Access in the same way as in Excel.
                      What would be the purpose of this project?
                      Best,

                      At 02:36 AM 1/24/2007, you wrote:

                      >I always transcribe records by hand on paper in the same
                      >chronological order as I find them with all the remarks like what I
                      >was looking for and which period of time. I save all those paper
                      >transcripts and this has helped me often when I wanted later to
                      >reconstruct the search process.

                      __________ Informacia od NOD32 2000 (20070123) __________

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • Jim
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 24, 2007
                        I�ve done some transcription and thought about Access vs. Excel. I think it
                        depends on what you intend to do with the database. If it�s for your own
                        use, Access might be better, but I think the advantages are marginal. If
                        your intent is to distribute your �database� to as many people that can find
                        it useful, I think Excel is the better choice. You could export to excel,
                        but that�s another annoyance. You can do lots of neat things with Access,
                        which often means sucking up lots of time doing neat things.

                        Then there�s the trade offs of what to include in transcription.
                        �Everything� may be desirable, but again what�s the intended purpose? I
                        don�t think I�ve ever seen anyone transcribe every single column of a census
                        record. What�s important? You make tradeoffs in what�s most useful which is
                        offset by the time you have available [or wish to spend]. Perhaps, the worst
                        outcome is that you start transcribing so much that you never finish. Maybe
                        worse is if you do transcribe everything and no one cares.

                        I suppose at the end of the day, you make your choices and always have some
                        regrets about what you did or what you didn�t do.

                        Jim

                        _____

                        "mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com"SLOVAK-ROOTS@-yahoogroups.-com
                        > <mailto:SLOVAK--ROOTS%40yahoogro-ups.com>, "J. Michutka" <jmm@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Has anyone transcribed a set of records, eg parish baptismal
                        > records
                        > > for their ancestral Slovak village?
                        > >
                        > > I've started to transcribe the marriage records for one of my
                        > Slovak
                        > > villages, as they contain a wealth of information in each entry,
                        > and
                        > > it seemed do-able. Rather than typing an exact transcription, I'm
                        > > putting the information into a spreadsheet: a column for groom's
                        > > first name, surname, father's name, mother's name, address,
                        > > age/d.o.b., marital status (eg widower), etc, then same for bride,
                        > > names of witnesses, and other comments in the record.
                        > >
                        > > Before I get too far into this project, I'd like to hear from
                        > someone
                        > > else who's done it. How did you do it, what do you wish you'd done
                        > > differently, was there any info you kept track of as you went along
                        > > (eg for baptisms, the number of births per year or per month of the
                        > > year)? For what purpose and what audience did you transcribe the
                        > > records, and what have you done with the information (eg put it on
                        > > website)? Are there copyright issues? Etc.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for any feedback or advice,
                        > >
                        > > Julie Michutka
                        > > jmm@...
                        >
                        > _,_._,___

                        11:04 AM

                      • David Holoshka (LD/EAB)
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                          Hi,

                          I have started a similar project and have found that using an Access
                          database (or similar) gives me a lot more flexibility for entering the
                          data and manipulating afterwards. You can do complex searches on the
                          data. The interface is more pleasent that excel which was designed to
                          manipulate numbers not text.

                          Regards,

                          Dave

                        • Nick Holcz
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                            Don't know about that. Why reinvent the wheel, use something like
                            Family Tree Maker it saves a lot of mucking around.

                            Nick
                          • Janet Kozlay
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                              Dear Nick,

                              For me, entering the data into Family Tree Maker is a final step, not a
                              first one. My only foray into researching a large, extended family meant
                              gathering a great deal of unrelated facts and trying to organize the people
                              into family groups. I do not enter these people in until I am quite certain
                              of their relationships, and this can take a lot of work. I have not tried
                              organizing the data with Excel or Access, but I think I will give it a try.

                              Janet

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                                I agree with Janet. I compile surname data in an MS-Access database for
                                individuals that I cannot firmly establish as belonging to the family tree.
                                The data is retained there in an organized fashion until a relationship can
                                be established. Only the records of folks that I know are related will I
                                enter the information in Family Tree Maker.

                                Am I understanding that Nick and others are entering all unrelated
                                individuals into Family Tree Maker? How do you do that when they are not
                                related to anyone? If you have all of these unrelated individuals in FTM
                                how do you use the information?

                                Frank Plichta

                                Galax, Virginia

                                "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                                  Many thanks for all the feedback on this! Some of the ideas are
                                  things that I'm already doing; others I hadn't thought about and now will.

                                  re: Access vs. Excel:

                                  >I have started a similar project and have found that using an Access
                                  >database (or similar) gives me a lot more flexibility for entering the
                                  >data and manipulating afterwards. You can do complex searches on the
                                  >data. The interface is more pleasent that excel which was designed to
                                  >manipulate numbers not text.

                                  I'm not familiar with Access at all. Can you give me a few examples
                                  of the flexibility and manipulating that you mention, or of a complex search?

                                  Vladimir asked the purpose of the project. I suppose the ultimate
                                  purpose is to make it accessible and searchable for others, if I'm
                                  not violating any copyright laws by doing so. I occasionally run
                                  across another descendant of this village who is interested in
                                  his/her ancestry, and have sometimes (usually!) ended up researching
                                  their line for them since I know the records well. I chose the
                                  marriage records to transcribe because they are so rich in
                                  information compared to the baptismal and death records. My personal
                                  purpose--well, this may sound silly, but I've worked with these
                                  records for so long that I actually hate to stop even though I'm
                                  pretty much done with my own research for this village. They're
                                  clearly written (mostly), I know most of the family names, I know
                                  which families tend to marry each other, etc. I just wanna have some
                                  more fun with them :)

                                  Julie Michutka
                                  jmm@...
                                • Gordon Grening
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                                    I used Excel to create Obituary and Cemetery research sheets.

                                    For the Obituary I have the following columns: name, dod, place of
                                    death, obituary found (yes or no), newspaper name, date obituary
                                    published, page number, column number, where obit was found (usually
                                    name of a public library) and microfilm name.

                                    For the Cemetery I have the following columns: name, dod, place of
                                    death, name of cemetery, location of cemetery, dated buried, section
                                    name, plot number, tombstone inscription, photographed (yes/no).

                                    The sheets proved to be invaluable when I made a genealogy research
                                    trip to Pennsylvania last Fall. I sorted the Obituary list by place
                                    of death and dod to facilitate looking up the obits at the various
                                    libraries and genealogical societies I visited.

                                    The Cemetery sheet was sorted by name and location of graveyard then
                                    by name of the deceased.

                                    After reading all the postings about Excel versus Access I decided to
                                    try creating Access versions of the spreadsheets. You can export the
                                    spreadsheet data then import it into Access. The only thing I liked
                                    better about the Access version is the robust reporting features
                                    which you don't have in Excel. Which version will I keep? Don't
                                    know at the moment.
                                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 25, 2007
                                      Dear Frank,
                                      In FTM you can easily enter any unrelated person. Very often, when researching records and an interesting name, although not related to my search, comes up, I take a note and enter it into FTM. In this way I know later that such a name can be found there and there.
                                      Although an unrelated name might seem lost in FTM, you habe a very easy way of showing all names there and also creating lists/reports as you wish.
                                      If I am researching a surname and there are several still unrelated and if this is important I draw them all on one Excel sheet and place those unrelated in proper generation column related to the tree. This position suggests the searcher that there is someone, who might be related and thus suggests what has the be researched.
                                      No software can do that, so I do that by hand, but it is a highly effective research tool. It also gives a complete surname overview at one glance.( for example, there were three men and two women, who got married. They are all from the same generation, but I do not have a proof for all of them that they were siblings. I put those parents pairs ( representing the nucleus of a family) one above the other, but the connection the the parents of those siblings is only there if I have a proof. The others are there as " usual suspects", waiting for the connection proof.
                                      Looking at such a picture is a boost for research ideas.
                                      Vladimir

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 26, 2007
                                        Vladimir,

                                        I believe that I am starting to understand how you use FTM for unrelated
                                        people. Let me explain what I think might be a problem with my data.

                                        I am "Searching the World for PLICHTAs" because there are relatively few of
                                        us. It is a task that I think is within the realm of possibility. At least
                                        I am trying.

                                        When I find a data source such as the each census, passenger lists, WWI
                                        Draft Registration Records, WWII Army Enlistment Records, Cemetery records
                                        from around the world, etc. I have been compiling a MS-Access database of
                                        the information. I create data fields for each piece of information
                                        contained in the record. That way I have at my fingertips, all of the
                                        Plichta data from that data source.

                                        It is very likely, that the same individual appears in each database file.
                                        I find them in the census, or the military records or cemetery BUT I do not
                                        yet have enough information to confirm that each of the records pertain to
                                        the same person. Frequently, I find the obituary of a family member and
                                        that will often times help show the relationships between various
                                        individuals so I can connect several together.

                                        If I were to use FTM and enter the bits and pieces of information in FTM I
                                        would have several entries for the same person. If I were to find a small
                                        family cluster of 4 or 5 individuals but no dates, how will I know if they
                                        are a duplicate of another family that I have that includes all of the right
                                        details? Will FTM be helpful in eventually consolidating all of the
                                        separate pieces of information to one single individual?

                                        Explaining the next step would be most helpful.

                                        Thank you for all that you have contributed to this list.

                                        Enjoy,

                                        Frank R. Plichta

                                        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                        yahoogroups.com] On
                                        Behalf Of Nick Holcz
                                        Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 6:56 AM
                                        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                                        Don't know about that. Why reinvent the wheel, use something like
                                        Family Tree Maker it saves a lot of mucking around.

                                        Nick
                                        portions of this message have been removed]

                                        _

                                      • karens_roots
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 26, 2007
                                          I have a cousin that tells me often that this family over here is
                                          related to us but he doesn't know exactly how. I have 3 or 4
                                          generations of information for this family so I started a "new" FTM
                                          tree for just this family. I have a binder for families that may be
                                          related with census, immigration, info, etc. I have also added
                                          spouses with children of some people when I am fairly certain that
                                          the info is correct. I will type "not confirmed" next to their name
                                          in hopes that someday I will receive information about them. This
                                          gives me a general idea about where I think they fit in without me
                                          forgetting later about these individuals.

                                          My tree has grown tremendously since I started doing this last year
                                          and it is the only way I can keep it all straight.

                                          When you have individual records that you just want to keep, I think
                                          you may have the right plan. Once in a while I go back over my
                                          records and find something that didn't seem important before but
                                          makes perfect sense now. Whatever works for you.

                                          Good luck,

                                          Karen

                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R. Plichta"

                                          ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
                                          > Behalf Of Vladimir Bohinc
                                          > Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:52 AM
                                          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Subject: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] RE: [S-R] Re: transcribing records
                                          >

                                          > Dear Frank,
                                          > In FTM you can easily enter any unrelated person. Very often, when
                                          > researching records and an interesting name, although not related
                                          to my
                                          > search, comes up, I take a note and enter it into FTM. In this way
                                          I know
                                          > later that such a name can be found there and there.
                                          > Although an unrelated name might seem lost in FTM, you habe a very
                                          easy way
                                          > of showing all names there and also creating lists/reports as you
                                          wish.
                                          > If I am researching a surname and there are several still unrelated
                                          and if
                                          > this is important I draw them all on one Excel sheet and place those
                                          > unrelated in proper generation column related to the tree. This
                                          position
                                          > suggests the searcher that there is someone, who might be related
                                          and thus
                                          > suggests what has the be researched.
                                          > No software can do that, so I do that by hand, but it is a highly
                                          effective
                                          > research tool. It also gives a complete surname overview at one
                                          glance.( for
                                          > example, there were three men and two women, who got married. They
                                          are all
                                          > from the same generation, but I do not have a proof for all of them
                                          that
                                          > they were siblings. I put those parents pairs ( representing the
                                          nucleus of
                                          > a family) one above the other, but the connection the the parents
                                          of those
                                          > siblings is only there if I have a proof. The others are there as "
                                          usual
                                          > suspects", waiting for the connection proof.
                                          > Looking at such a picture is a boost for research ideas.
                                          > Vladimir

                                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 26, 2007
                                            Dear Frank,
                                            Yes, I am completely satisfied with FTM, except for the drawing of the trees.
                                            You have a bit of a different problem.
                                            Serching for all Plichtas suggests that they all might be descendants of one "Proto -Plichta".
                                            In other words, a huge tree with many branches in different countries.
                                            However, I do not think there are very many conutries involved. Not more than 20?
                                            If you intention is to try to connect them all ( if I were you) I would make myself a research tool like this:
                                            I would take a name of a living Plichta, who represents a discrete fraction of this huge tree and then list all his ancestor Plichta families in a horizontal direction till gos no more.
                                            In this way you would have a straight line ( no siblings etc) of ancestors of one Plichta.
                                            I would make such ancestor lines for each discrete fraction of the mighty Plichta tree and place them one above the other, grouped by contry where found.
                                            In this way you would have all the longest Plichta lines without disturbing siblings and their mariages etc. shown in a condensed way.
                                            What connects somebody to the past are the names of the parents.
                                            Without that you can not go further back.
                                            All your lines will end with a person with unknown parents.
                                            In further research, the moment you find parents of someone at the end of the line you can look at other parent pairs in other, longer lines, whether there is a fit. If it is, the two lines connect. If it is not, you must continue searching the parents.
                                            You can do this also without drawing, but I prefer visualization.
                                            If you can send me data of two or three such lines I will make such drawing and send it to your e-mail address. To fully understand you must see that.
                                            Regards,

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                              Vladimir,

                                              You are correct. So far I have found Plichtas in only 14 countries. As you
                                              will see, the numbers of living Plichtas are relatively small which is why I
                                              think that this project is not totally out of reason. I doubt that I will
                                              ever connect everyone since the original data in the countries of origin is
                                              difficult to tie together except for individual family lines.

                                              In my searching the world for PLICHTAs here is what I have found:

                                              These are Living Plichtas in the past several years.

                                              Australia = 14

                                              Austria = 18

                                              Belgium = 4

                                              Canada = 12

                                              Czech = 24 (This is incomplete)

                                              Denmark = 20

                                              France = 23

                                              Germany = 67

                                              Israel = 1

                                              Namibia = 1 (Oscar Valentine "Hampie" Plichta, Namibia Cabinet Minister died
                                              in 2001.)

                                              Poland = 8 (1990 census shows 5,000)

                                              Slovakia = 36 (This is incomplete)

                                              Spain = 2

                                              USA = 386

                                              I have written letters (English or English/German) to more than 400 of the
                                              individuals and receive about 12% replies. I have also found 220 Plichta
                                              email addresses and sent messages to each of them asking for their
                                              assistance. About 30% of them are invalid and only 5% of the others reply.

                                              From those that have replied plus my other research, I have identified 65
                                              Plichta Families containing 2,212 individuals with 703 marriages dating back
                                              to 1668. I belong to Plichta Family #1. As I find a new Plichta Family I
                                              give it the next number. I have been able to tie together several families
                                              from different sources into one larger Plichta Family. All of these
                                              individuals are in FTM. I only enter individuals that I am certain are
                                              related to a family. Everything else, all of the bits and pieces are in
                                              MS-Access databases.

                                              Most of the families have originated in Czech, Slovakia or Poland and have
                                              migrated to the other counties. The first Plichta did not arrive in America
                                              until 1881.

                                              I have searched multiple databases and compiled my own database using
                                              MS-Access. Each data element is recorded for ease of sorting and cross
                                              referencing looking for matches.

                                              Please send me your email address and I will send you three of my families
                                              privately and I look forward to your recommendations.

                                              Just as my email address suggests, I am trying to link all of the Plichtas
                                              on the earth. Plichta@...

                                              Thanks for your suggestions.

                                              Frank

                                              Frank R. Plichta

                                              Galax, Virginia

                                              Email: plichta@...

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                Hi Frank:

                                                I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Hungarian archival database named
                                                ARCANUM (literally "archives" in Latin), which can be accessed through Bill
                                                Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_
                                                (http://www.iabsi.com) (then go to the CENSUS link, then to the 1715 Census
                                                link), which will take you to the main page of ARCANUM, but I would highly
                                                recommend that you take a look at it, as it may provide a little help in
                                                possibly linking the various PLICHTA's. When I did a search for PLICH* (with the
                                                wildcard asterisk) in ARCANUM, there were 11 results which appeared,
                                                including an ANNA PLICHTOVICH whose name appears in regard to a JANOS MORAVCSIK who
                                                apparently had a coat of arms (cimer) in 1635. The PLICHTA surname (including
                                                alternative spelling) appears seven (7) times in the 1715 Hungarian Urbarial
                                                Census in the following villages (I used the Slovak name of the village as
                                                that is referenced in the database along with the Hungarian name of the
                                                county, as the data are arranged according to the old Hungarian countries):

                                                HENRICUS PLICHTA -- BECHEROV (SAROS)
                                                ANDREAS PLICHTA -- KAVECANY(SAROS)
                                                LUKACS PLICHTA -- PODPROC (SZEPES)
                                                ANDREAS PLICHTA -- STARE (ZEMPLEN)
                                                PAULUS PLICTHA -- LOMNICA (ZEMPLEN)
                                                GEORGIUS PLICHNA (AS TRANSCRIBED IN THE COMPUTER DATABASE) -- KRALOVSKA
                                                LUBELA/LUBELA (LIPTO)
                                                PAULUS PLICHT -- LUTZMANNSBURG, AUSTRIA (formerly LOCSMAND, SOPRON, HUNGARY)

                                                The great thing about the 1715 Hungarian Urbarial Census is that you can
                                                look and actually print copies of the original documents.

                                                There are also three other references to PLICH* from 1867-1944 in the
                                                ARCANUM database.

                                                I would also suggest doing further searches in ARCANUM using the various
                                                alternative (phonetic) spellings of the surname. I would particular recommend a
                                                search using PL*CHT* as that found 24 results (including most of the results
                                                set froth above), as well as three villages in the old HONT county for
                                                village names of KOZOPSU PALOJTA (STREDNE PLACHTINCE), ALSO PALOJTA (DOLNE
                                                PLACHTINCE), FELSO PALOJTA (HORNE PLACHTINCE). I don't know the etymology of the
                                                surname PLICHTA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had a similar etymology
                                                (meaning) to the names of these villages. In searching around the ARCANUM
                                                database, you may find other interesting possibilities. And if you have any
                                                problems using ARCANUM (as it in Hungarian but pretty easy to navigate once you get
                                                the hang of it), let me know and I'll try to help the best that I can.

                                                I am very intrigued with the concept of your project, as I've been working
                                                on a similar project with one of the surnames in my lineage. I would be
                                                curious as to what you ultimately find out about the various branches of the
                                                PLICHTA clan, and whether you are able to ultimately connect various branches to
                                                one family, and/or whether the name relates back to a certain village, etc. I
                                                think you have a great concept that you are working on, and it may prove
                                                helpful to other researchers in the future. I wish you well in your research
                                                endeavors.

                                                Best regards,

                                                David Michael Baloga

                                              • Janet Kozlay
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                  Frank,

                                                  You have a fascinating project.

                                                  Do you include information on Buday-Plichta (prosznefalvi) and Plichtovich?

                                                  Janet

                                                • Frank R. Plichta
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                    Janet and David,

                                                    The Hungarian records are new for me.

                                                    I did travel to Budapest in March 2006 which is when I think Janet and her
                                                    husband presented some family papers to the Hungarian government. My
                                                    schedule only allowed me two nights and one day in the city and the one day
                                                    was March 15. The day they celebrated the Revolution of 1848. The archives
                                                    were closed but I enjoyed the day of celebration with folk music, dancing,
                                                    speeches that I did not understand, good food, opera and skits in the park.
                                                    It was a cool day, overcast, but a pleasant day anyway. I had to leave the
                                                    next morning to meet my relatives in Eastern Slovakia.

                                                    I have 13 pages of Hungarian records from Magyar Orsza'gos Leve'lta'r that
                                                    relate to Plichta but I have not been able to make any sense of them. I
                                                    downloaded the 13 pages to my computer and have yet to understand what I
                                                    have.

                                                    My Plichta family was from Kosicka Bela which was part of Hungary and I am
                                                    sure that I will need to investigate that country more. I did get some WWI
                                                    records from Vienna, Austria archives when I was there about my Grandfather
                                                    who served in the Infantry Regiment #34 of the Austro-Hungarian Army. I
                                                    need to return to Budapest to research is military file now that I know the
                                                    unit.

                                                    Any other ideas of where to look for Plichta in Hungary would be
                                                    appreciated.

                                                    Thanks for your referrals.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                      Hi Frank:

                                                      For translating selected text or even whole webpages from one language to
                                                      another, such as HUNGARIAN to ENGLISH, here is a link to a very good and FREE
                                                      website:

                                                      _http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=
                                                      Czech_
                                                      (http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Czech)

                                                      While the translations may not always be perfect, it can definitely give one
                                                      a sense of what is being said.
                                                      This website also does translations from LATIN, CZECH, POLISH, GERMAN and a
                                                      number of other languages into ENGLISH (as well as into other languages). I
                                                      have found it quite useful and very helpful, and one of the resources that I
                                                      use time and time again.

                                                      For selected words, the best online HUNGARIAN to ENGLISH dictionary that I
                                                      have found is MTA SZTAKI

                                                      _http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian_
                                                      (http://dict.sztaki.hu/english-hungarian)

                                                      One great aspect about MTA SZTAKI dictionary is that if the spelling is not
                                                      correct, it will give a whole list of other possibilities. I have found this
                                                      very helpful.

                                                      Other dictionary resources can be found on Bill Tarkulich's website at

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                        Janet,

                                                        Both of those names are new to me. What does (prosznefalvi) mean?

                                                        Frank

                                                        _____

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                          I did not make the statement that DBs were archaic - my daughter
                                                          did. Your comments about the apparent difficulties with
                                                          teaching/learning relational data bases is well taken. For whatever
                                                          reason, young college students just do not "get it" and avoid DB
                                                          courses like the plague. The drop out rate is almost 50% and the
                                                          pass rate is miserable. I was shuffled to a section of the course
                                                          attending by 30 somethings and the class achievement levels were
                                                          spectacular.

                                                          My point is that. even as a DB lover, if you do not need the
                                                          relational table aspects of Access, one can make a case for using
                                                          Excel. You can, indeed set up relationships between tables for
                                                          birth, marriage and death records. If you do so, you end up
                                                          reinventing the family tree data base.

                                                          I don't know if anyone else hasd mentioned it, but if you do finish
                                                          one of the record books, remember to send a copy to your local FHC
                                                          and to Salt Lake City.

                                                          gene

                                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen C <karens_roots@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                          > > first name, surname, father's name, mother's name, address,
                                                          > > age/d.o.b., marital status (eg widower), etc, then same for
                                                          bride,
                                                          > > names of witnesses, and other comments in the record.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Before I get too far into this project, I'd like to hear from
                                                          > someone
                                                          > > else who's done it. How did you do it, what do you wish you'd
                                                          done
                                                          > > differently, was there any info you kept track of as you went
                                                          along
                                                          > > (eg for baptisms, the number of births per year or per month of
                                                          the
                                                          > > year)? For what purpose and what audience did you transcribe the
                                                          > > records, and what have you done with the information (eg put it
                                                          on
                                                          > > website)? Are there copyright issues? Etc.

                                                        • Karen C
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 27, 2007
                                                            Sorry. I hope you didn't take offense. I did not mean for you to take it that way. First, I am not a computer programmer although I do have a minor in CIS in college. The trainer where I work asked me to take a look at the database that he had inherited. The display was nice but it was actually only one table and manipulating the data was almost impossible. I have found that most people are just more comfortable using Excel. Me, I don't really like spreadsheets. I like the nice screens you can develop in MS Access and the behind the scenes programming you can incorporate with Visual Basic. My families all fit together right now. I have a few stragglers but if I had a whole village of people that could somehow be related I might feel inclined to set up a DB that could do some automatic checking for me as I entered data.

                                                            Can you tell that I love databases? I love how powerful computers can be. I've had three jobs in my adult life which have all been totally different but I always end up programming no matter where I work. I always say I am just lazy, I can always program an easier way for me to do everything.

                                                            Again, I hope I didn't sound critical.

                                                            All the best,

                                                            Karen

                                                          • jcotteret
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 28, 2007
                                                              <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                                                              .....some WWI
                                                              > records from Vienna, Austria archives when I was there about my
                                                              Grandfather
                                                              > who served in the Infantry Regiment #34 of the Austro-Hungarian
                                                              Army. I
                                                              > need to return to Budapest to research is military file now that I
                                                              know the
                                                              > unit.

                                                              > Dear Frank,

                                                              As far as I know, the military files of the former Austro-Hungarian
                                                              Army (KuK Armee)are only hold in Vienna.
                                                              I faced the same kind of problem with my wife's g.g.g.g.grandfather,
                                                              hussar in the HR#7.
                                                              You can have a look at this site for pratical hints (in English):
                                                              www.genealogienetz.de/reg/AUT/Krainf-e.html
                                                              and at this one in German about the KuK Armee :
                                                              www.kuk-wehrmacht.de

                                                              Have a nice day!
                                                              Jacques
                                                            • Janet Kozlay
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 28, 2007
                                                                Frank,

                                                                There are about a dozen Plichtas listed in the Hungary phone directory:
                                                                http://www.magyartelekom.hu/english/main.vm. The search shows 20, but some
                                                                of them are duplicates.

                                                                I found both the Buday-Plichta and the Plichtovics references in the
                                                                Hungarian nobility literature-considerably more than what you can find in
                                                                Arcanum's online site. Buday-Plichta looks like a biname, and should
                                                                probably be considered as related to your Plichta families. Likewise, I
                                                                think you might want to at least investigate Plichtovics/Plichtovits.

                                                                Prosznefalvi indicates the family's origins. It is probably Proszne, a
                                                                village in old Trencsen megye, now Prosne SK, WSW of Bytca. I suspect that
                                                                Buday does not refer to Buda (Budapest), but to Budatin, now apparently a
                                                                suburb of Zilina.

                                                                There is a Buday-Plichta coat of arms. There is a description but no
                                                                illustration.

                                                                The family is associated both with Trencsen and Nograd (Losoncz/Lucenec).
                                                                Kempelen specifically equates Plichta with Buday-Plichta. Some of the given
                                                                names for which there is specific information are Aladar, Soma, Barna,
                                                                Kornel, and Janos. Do any of these ring a bell?

                                                                The RadixIndex lists 16 entries for the Plichta name. Some of them were in
                                                                present-day Hungary. See
                                                                http://www.radixindex.com/cgi-bin/rixidxvn.cgi?act=searchsn
                                                                <http://www.radixindex.com/cgi-bin/rixidxvn.cgi?act=searchsn&act2=&q=plichta
                                                                &q2=&lan> &act2=&q=plichta&q2=&lan=. Another 6 are listed under the spelling
                                                                Plachta, but they may not be related.

                                                                Let me know if you'd like to pursue this further.

                                                                Janet

                                                                _____