Re: 1715 census

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <bhewlett@...> wrote:

      .... They are in Latin and I can not see them well enough to try and
      figure it out myself.
      > Thanks,
      > Joyce

      >Hi group,

      I made an attempt in translating the 1715 census column headings,
      first on Joyce's requirement . Going deeper in this matter, I
      evidenced that these headings were not uniform throughout this census
      and depend from the viewed pages, but the the column still seems to
      concern the same subject. The good thing is that the redactors
      shortened words differently, giving more clues for decipherment.
      Here are the results I have collected, from various pages .
      1rst column : Nomina et cognomina (incolarum) i.e : names and
      surnames (of the inhabitants)
      2nd column (not always present !!) : Opificium i.e : occupation (
      some are reported :tanners, shoemakers, cobblers …)
      Other columns headings seem to be questions with « quot »=how
      much,how many.

      3rd column : Quot cubilis possessionis (fit) capaces terras
      arabiles ? i.e. How much of the dweling place possession is fit (or
      used) for cultivation ?
      or Quot cubilis possessionis (et ?) ars vindemialis in
      agri hold lapuses ?
      i.e. How many « holds » of the dweling place possession are devoted
      to vineyards and culture ? (two sub-columns in this case)
      N.B. : an « hold » is an old Hungarian surface unit of approximately
      one acre.

      6th column : Vinea quot possessionis ? i.e. how much of the
      property (as)vineyard ?
      or Vinea nulla i.e. : no vineyard
      The 2 remaining headings are less obvious and understandable :
      4th column :Extirpu ( patinas ?) quot internum ? I haven't the
      foggiest !!!!
      5th column : « Prata quot falcata » , maybe : How many fields plowed
      but not seeded ?

      Thanks in advance for any comment, suggestion or correction.
      Jacques