Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Mormon Records

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 1988
      Ann,

      Thanks for sending the URL again. I was mentioned at least once before
      on S-W, maybe quite a while back. These lists were the basis for the
      listing I sent out on the 19th, where I added in some of the
      corresponding Slovak words. The bit of Rusyn / Ukrainian that matches
      the words could not be included.

      Someone mentioned trouble reading the old script / writing. THere is
      also an URL out there that does a great job at introducing the topic,
      with examples. I do not have the URL to that either.

      Regards
      Ron

      apouliot49@... wrote:

      > Sharon and Marthasol,
      >
      > This is for those of you, who like me, are trying to decipher the Latin and
      > Hungarian on the Baptism, Marriage and Death Records from Slovakia.
      >
      > Check out this site: http://www.bmi.net/jjaso
      >
      > There are several pages to print out with Hungarian, Latin and English for
      > each of the records. I printed them out landscape on legal sized paper.
      > There is a 10 page listing of Hungarian Terms and Phrases as well as 5 pages
      > of Latin.
      >
      > I still don't know how I found this site...divine intervention, I
      > think...but, it's wonderfullly helpful. I'm sure I will get a lot of use out
      > of the lists.
      >
      > Good Luck to y'all,
      > Ann Greene, FL.

    • Linda Kleback
      Message 2 of 12 , May 29, 2000
        I am fairly new to this list, but I have done a lot of work on my
        husband's and my Slovak ancestors. My people were from Klokocso (now
        Klokocov). My husband's were from Jeszeno, Male Ozorovce, and
        Ruckocz. I have found the microfilmed church records of the LDS to
        be invaluable. With some practice, even those who don't know the
        languages can work with the records. There are many translation
        guides, both online and published. Thanks to these records, I am
        back further on some Slovak lines that I am on my Pennsylvania ones.
        I am not a Mormon, but they are some of my favorite folks!
      • SHRitchie
        Message 3 of 12 , May 29, 2000
          Linda-would you mind suggesting where the online translation guides are? You
          wrote <. There are many translation
          guides, both online and published.>

          Thanks very much.

          Sharon
          Warsha2@...
        • Marthasol@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 29, 2000
            I agree Sharon. While at a FHL using a microfilm reader, it's really hard to
            juggle various translation books,(Hungarian, Slovak and Latin). so much
            balancing and shuffling of papers and books and also figure out the
            handwriting at same time. Then it turns out the dictionary is basically for
            contempory words, phrases. I thought by enlarging, the handwriting would be
            more legible. But it would be a fortune to copy and enlarge everything unless
            very certain it was the page wanted.
            Appropriate translation reference books are needed by me, also.
          • apouliot49@aol.com

              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2000
                If you get stuck on a word or phrase, bring it to the list so we can try to
                help. A lot of what you find is pretty universal.

                > This is for those of you, who like me, are trying to decipher the Latin
                and
                > Hungarian on the Baptism, Marriage and Death Records from Slovakia.
                >
                > Check out this site: http://www.bmi.net/jjaso
              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2000
                  At 05:54 PM 5/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Sharon and Marthasol,
                  >
                  >This is for those of you, who like me, are trying to decipher the Latin and
                  >Hungarian on the Baptism, Marriage and Death Records from Slovakia.
                  >
                  >Check out this site: http://www.bmi.net/jjaso
                  Another good reference is "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records"
                  by Jared H. Suess. It is a low cost (about $6.50) but very good
                  reference. It contains word lists in Hungarian, German, Latin, and maps,
                  alphabets, sample records, etc. http://storbecks.com/hungary.htm

                  Janko
                • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 29, 2000
                    Try these:

                    Hungarian names:

                    http://www.fam.aust.com/topolcsany/names/

                    German Script:

                    http://home.t-online.de/home/hans-peter.voss/04eng.htm

                    Dr. "Q"

                  • Marthasol@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2000
                      Thank you, Janko. I have the Suess book but will try other suggestions you
                      made.
                      Martha
                    • Marthasol@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2000
                        Thank you. Will try.
                        Martha
                      • Kathleen Duvall
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
                          > Another good reference is "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records"
                          > by Jared H. Suess. It is a low cost (about $6.50) but very good
                          > reference. It contains word lists in Hungarian, German, Latin, and maps,
                          > alphabets, sample records, etc. http://storbecks.com/hungary.htm
                          > Janko>

                          Thank you so much!!!! I went immediately to this site and ordered the
                          book.

                          Kathleen in Florida
                          researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
                        • jallen50
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 6, 2000
                            Thanks for the tip, Kathleen...my order is next!!!

                            > Another good reference is "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records"
                            > by Jared H. Suess. It is a low cost (about $6.50) but very good
                            > reference. It contains word lists in Hungarian, German, Latin, and
                            maps,
                            > alphabets, sample records, etc. http://storbecks.com/hungary.htm
                            > Janko>

                            Thank you so much!!!! I went immediately to this site and ordered the
                            book.

                            Kathleen in Florida
                            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                            Old school buds here: