Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Mormon records

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 6:25 PM
      A final word on this before we "put it to bed"....

      We all have the right to disagree on issues, and that's ok. This
      "extraction" and IGI issue is a bit of a hot topic and tends to get
      people upset. The LDS church does what they do for reasons known to
      them, and some people have no problem with it, and others (like my
      family) are offended. No one is ever going to convince anyone to change
      their minds.

      All I meant to do was explain what "extraction" was and that it should
      have -nothing- to do with whether or not you can order a film. If a film
      is unable to leave SLC it will clearly state "restricted". If something
      says "not for extraction" then it means that whoever "owns" the records
      will not allow the LDS to get names from it for their proxy baptisms
      etc.

      One reason why the Mormon volunteers at your FHC may have told you
      something wrong is that often (not always) church members are there to
      serve as volunteers for their church and are not doing genealogy
      actively and know little about finding films or ordering films. Usually
      the non-members will know more then the church members do, and you can
      always ask someone else in the FHC if something doesn't seem right.
      Someone there is bound to know the answer, or ask on a list and someone
      can help you.

      I should say that I -used- to volunteer at the Mobile FHC for several
      years, until a new director dismissed all the non-Mormons and now has
      only church workers working, most of whom don't have the foggiest idea
      of what is going on, and our FHC is going downhill fast without
      qualified people to answer questions. So when you go in to research, if
      a volunteer can't answer your questions, politely ask if there is
      someone else there who can help you. Every FHC is different, but always
      be polite as possible and if there is no one there to answer your
      question, ask when someone who can answer it WILL be there. Many times
      you can learn things on lists and on the internet and sort of "do it
      yourself" once you are there, as no FHC can have volunteers there all
      the time who know everything about researching in all parts of the world
      in any case.

      Regardless of what anyone may feel, we should all be thankful for the
      effort the LDS church has done for genealogy for many, many years -- way
      before the internet was ever invented.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 6:54 PM
        Maura,

        Thank you for you kind words --- Yes, we have been doing this longer than
        dirt itself, before Alex Haley wrote his book and the FHC exist only because
        the Church saw a need for it not only to help their own people; but, to
        assist anyone else who is doing this work as well. We welcome everyone to
        come and partake of the information that we have and hopefully we will be
        able to continue to help more and more.

        Sorry about your experience in Mobile --- all centers don't have that problem
        with volunteers and members. I am certain that you were an asset.

        Peace...

        Joy
      • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29 7:14 AM
          It is sad that Israel won't let a FHC be there for those Jewish families who
          are researching genealogy for themselves.

          I knew that they didn't allow the LDS Church to proselyte there, but I didn't
          know that they didn't allow any FHC there.

          Joy Johnson
        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30 3:42 PM
            Just a thought.....

            in terms of the US and Canada vs. the rest of the world in terms of
            FHC's, it seems to me that there are fewer in Europe and Australia than
            here anyway...... I know there is only one in all of Ireland, and that
            certainly isn't because the LDS aren't allowed to have more....

            From my work at our FHC it seemed that whether or not a ward had an FHC
            was financial (costs of equipment etc including a building or room) and
            useage. In other words, it is cost effective. I know ours has been in
            danger of closing twice now because they can't get (church) workers to
            work to keep it open.

            I know nothing about the situation in Israel, but I wonder if the
            situation has more to do with the cost effectiveness of a FHC vs.
            whether or not they will "allow" it there. I believe there is only one
            FHC in Germany, maybe two.... I think the "genealogy boom" is just
            starting to hit Europe and that might improve soon in terms of how many
            would use it. Also, realize that even places not in the US still have to
            order films from SLC.... making it take longer to get films etc. (I have
            friends in Australia who tell me it can take between 3-6 months to get a
            film in, and then you have to arrange to get to the FHC to read it which
            may be hours away). I also know friends who prefer to go to the National
            Library in Dublin and use the records for free rather than order films
            from SLC and view them in England... much easier to make a few days of
            it and take the boat over from Wales than order and wait for films.

            All I"m saying is that the situation in other parts of the world may
            have other factors of cost etc involved, unlike those FHCs in the US.

          • Andy Verostko
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30 6:40 PM
              Just a thought.
              Wouldn't the availability of an FHC be based upon the number of church
              members? If in Ireland they have a very few members, then there are very
              few people to use the FHC. The FHC is for the church and where the
              church has strong membership, expect strong supporting structure. So,
              I would suggest that success in obtaining converts reflects availability
              of FHC's.

              As info, I work one day a week at my local FHC as a volunteer and I
              consider myself Roman Catholic. This is in Fredericksburg, Virginia and
              they don't have a large membership base and are thus happy to get any help
              they can get. They are happy to have anyone use their facilities but they
              do prioritize church work.

              I have great respect for the Mormon church member, since they do as a rule
              advocate standards that I find admirable. Their young people reflect those
              standards well.

              --

              Regards

              Andy Verostko

              averostko@...

              http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko

              Message 6 of 6 , May 30 8:31 PM
                I think having a FHC in the area depends on a lot of things,..... but I
                do believe a lot comes down to "cost efficiency", in other words do they
                have enough interest to keep it open and operate not at a loss. Every
                FHC has to do a report periodically on who uses it and whether they are
                church members or not. I used to help with ours and in Mobile we were
                always at least 3/4 non members and 1/4 members using it. (I won't go
                into the recent difficulties with a new director and his plan to
                increase church member involvement, which is definitely not working.)
                Those reports were submitted to SLC for their knowledge and use....
                which leads me to believe that is part of how they know if they need
                another in the area or if one is not feasible any longer.

                Again, all I'm saying is that to me it's a larger decision than just
                'wanting' one there. The LDS are -not- making a profit off the
                microfilms etc, they are not a commercial entity as some genealogy
                companies are who charge to view databases even on line. A new
                microfilm/fiche copy machine like the one our FHC was considering (or
                rather wishing for, as ours has died and been resurrected several times)
                costs over $3,000. Consider what is in a FHC, computers, CD sets,
                microfilm and microfiche readers, plus the usual office stuff, desks,
                filing cabinets, sets of microfiche..... it's not cheap to equip a new
                FHC. Equipment is alloted based on useage and hours open. They also have
                to pay electic bills and such also.

                Now, we're probably boring the majority of the listmembers with
                this..... so maybe it's best if we let the discussion lag, or correspond
                in private. I certainly don't want to turn anyone off with this
                "thread", tho I do think it has genealogical merit as it helps everyone
                understand just how important those records and the FHCs are (I hope).
                :)