Re: [S-R] Merry Christmas translated

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "SRK" <srkrizan@...> wrote:

      > This is another list of: How to pronunciation names and where are
      the
      > hacheck marks?
      >

      > Hello M.Skrizan

      >I'll ask my Czech-born sister-in-law to record the pronunciation of
      the following names ;As it may take a little while, I can give you a
      few hints :
      The stress is always on the first syllable, no matter the vowel is
      long or short.

      > Bochdalek (Czech): ch as in Scottish loch or German Achtung
      > Czapek (Czechoslovak): I supposed it is the famous watchmaker, who
      was Czech-born but took the Polish citizenship, hence the polish
      orthography . cz as ch in cheap (now written c+hacek in Czech)
      > Frejka (Czech): ej as in height
      > Hasner (Czech):(von Artha ?)German surname, the pronunciation is
      straighforward.
      > Hermansky (Czech): straightforward
      > Pudlak (Czech): the a wears an accute accent (long vowel),u as in
      pool but shorter
      > Verocay (Czech): this Austrian doctor's name looks a bit
      Hungarian.May be pronouced with c as ts in cats and ai as I in I am.

      I hope this will be of any use to you.
      Jacques Cotteret