Searching for STRUHAR, VLCEK, MIFKOVIC

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
      My grandfather, Tomas STRUHAR (b. 11 Aug 1883) lived in Zohor,
      (Bratislava) Slovakia and emigrated to the US in 1913 from there. His
      father was Tomas STRUHAR and his mother was Madeline VLCEK. He and
      his wife, Agnes MIFKOVIC (b. 21 Jan 1891) also from Zohor, settled in
      Baltimore, MD. Her mother & father were Stefan MIFKOVIC and Algbeta
      VLCEK.

      I would really like to find info on their parents. Or, at least, some
      guidance as to where to start searching.

      Thanks.

      Elaine Summerhill
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        >>> I would really like to find info on their parents. Or, at least,
        some guidance as to where to start searching. <<<

        You will have to pay a pro to do your research at the Slovak Archive.
        The films of church records have not been indexed and released and
        there is no date given for release.

        You CAN dtermine the availability of archived church records. Here's
        how.

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
        are available on film via your LDS Family History Center but NOT for
        western Slovakia

        CENTER (FHC)
        Go to the LDS web site:

        LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FICHES if not
        already on hand.

        go there in person to order the fiches if they are not already on
        hand. In about a month, the fiches will arrive and you can book a
        reader and begin your research.

        WRITING TO ARCHIVES (or to a genealogy pro)
        For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
        Click on SEARCH
        Click on RESEARCH HELPS
        Click on the letter "C"
        Scroll to the bottom of the page
        Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
        Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi Elaine - have several listings for Vlcek in the Slovak Pride data base - 2 searchers have roots in Zohor - you may wish to contact them for more info - I think one man was born there. There is one listing for Mifkovic from another village and 3 listings for Struhar but also in other villages.

          if you wish to get back to me - use my helenezx@... address

          The village records are likely in the Bratislava Archive and haven't been filmed yet by the LDS. So hiring a researcher is another route.

          Good luck!

          helene