RE: [S-R] Re: Village of Osuska, Slovakia

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      I absolutely agree with John about doing your research before visiting.
      Having a translator along is also a great help. Even ordering food in a
      restaurant can be more than challenging if you don’t know the language. (We
      had some pretty bad meals when we were on our own.)

      A wise person told us before our first visit that we should not expect to
      learn anything while we were there, that research is more easily done here
      at home. He also said we should focus on enjoying the country for what it
      is. Of course if you are fortunate enough to find distant relatives, that is
      another matter, one which Bill Tarkulich addresses on his excellent website
      (www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> ).

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is, as you
        have said, “broken”? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in for the town,
        but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since there well could be
        other “possibles” in the area that are not in Osuske proper.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi Joanne - Your village is Osuske with an accent over the last e. You don't need the name of the church - just write to the Farrar - the pastor - although many of the record books from before 1895 or 1900 have gone to a regional archive or the main one in Bratislava. I don't think the LDS has released the NITRA records yet.

          A letter might work - tho church pastors are not genealogists and may not want to bother replying. Sometimes a letter to the mayor will have the letter passedto the family.

          Or llook in Slovak phone book on line - for your surnames in Osuske or Jablonica the next village that is a larger.Letters are best written in Slovak and not all get answered. I have a form letter in Slovak you could try using. if you would like it send me an e mail directly helenezx@.... I also have a friend in Slovakia who has been helping people - e mail letters to her and she translates and mails in Slovakia and gets the replies and translates them and e mails to America. It works some of the time but not 100%.

          Do you have any old addresses from the old country or baptismal or marriage documents - sometimes these have clues like house numbers and help to identify your branch of the family. Sometimes the reason we don't get replies is that half the village has the same surname.

          I love your village - it has the most beautiful folk dress!

          Good luck!

          helene

          bojomo42 <bojomo@...> wrote:
          Hello,
          My grandfather and grandmother immigrated to the USA from what today
          is Osuska, Slovakia. Their names were Paul Kovachik (chek cic) and
          Antonia Danko. In October of this year we visited the village and
          found grave markers in the church cemetery with family surnames on
          them which leads us to believe that this is where they came from. We
          could get no information locally as only we spoke english. We could
          not even find the name of the church.

          Following is the information I have:

          Grandfather-Paul Kovachik (chek cic)
          Born-December 20, 1884
          Father-Joseph Kovachik
          Mother-Mary Malatenski (y)
          Catholic
          Occupation-Tailor
          Siblings-May have had 1 brother Tom?
          I can find no entry into the USA but plenty of documentation of his
          being in Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco through out his life.

          Grandmother-Antonia Danko (Kovachik)
          Born-November 11, 1885
          Father-George Danko
          Mother-Joanna Schulz
          Religion-Catholic
          Occupation-Housewife
          Siblings-Was said to have 12 brothers and sisters. Brother Josef
          Danko also immigrated to USA.
          I found evidence that she entered the US through Ellis Island on
          March 7, 1900 and worked as a mothers helper for a family in New
          Jersey before moving west to Los Angeles then San Francisco.

          My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them and
          any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
          would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
          name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
          might find out that information. I would greatly appreciate it. Of
          course any information on my family would be great

          Thank You,
          Joanne

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            Dear John,
            Osuske records are not in Nitra archive , but in Bratislava!!!
            How can you tell that?
            Vladimir

            following web site: http://iabsi.com/

            Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
            research, that's BAD news.

            >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
            and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
            would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
            name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
            might find out that information. <<<

            Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

            1) GETTING STARTED
            The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
            who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
            research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

            Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
            (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

            2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
            LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
            references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
            are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
            THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
            released.

            3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
            Go to the LDS web site:

            LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
            go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
            about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
            and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
            already be on hand but not the census films.

            Go to the LDS web site:

            4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
            They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
            the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
            a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
            b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

            If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
            will also have a thousand questions.

            Ask away. There is much to learn.

            __________ Informacia od NOD32 1950 (20061231) __________

            http://www.eset.sk

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
              >>> John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is,
              as you have said, "broken"? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in
              for the town, but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since
              there well could be other "possibles" in the area that are not in
              Osuske proper.<<<

              > There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
              > Malatinský Jozef
              > E.Lehockeho 143,
              > Osuske
              > 906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
              > SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

              Well, I didn't explain all my (secret) methods.

              1) I used the Slovak phone look-up page, along with the area code.
              2) I used short forms plus wild card, eg: Malat* to ensure that I
              covered spelling inconsistencies and the female form.
              3) The postal code came from Podrobny Auto Atlas but it can also be had
              from http://www.slovenskaposta.sk/index.php
              4) YES, there are other possibles in the area. However, possibilities
              probably decline with the fourth root of the distance travelled. At
              best, The Adam Theroem = Two Village Rule would apply.

              OK, now the secret is out. Now you know all!
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                >>>Osuske records are not in Nitra archive, but in Bratislava!!!<<<

                Mine was just an unlucky/incorrect guess. Bratislava it is.