RE: [S-R] Village of Osuska, Slovakia

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      Pal Kovacsik, born 1884, immigrated from Oszusko on April 2, 1904, on the
      ship Prinzess Alice.

      Until LDS releases church records for western Slovakia, which may be a long
      wait, it might be your best bet to contact a professional genealogist in the
      area. Vladimir Bohinc, who is very highly regarded, can be reached at
      konetka@.... His website is www.konetka.sk <http://www.konetka.sk/> .
      He indicates there that he already has information on the Kovacik name.

      Good luck, Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        I absolutely agree with John about doing your research before visiting.
        Having a translator along is also a great help. Even ordering food in a
        restaurant can be more than challenging if you don’t know the language. (We
        had some pretty bad meals when we were on our own.)

        A wise person told us before our first visit that we should not expect to
        learn anything while we were there, that research is more easily done here
        at home. He also said we should focus on enjoying the country for what it
        is. Of course if you are fortunate enough to find distant relatives, that is
        another matter, one which Bill Tarkulich addresses on his excellent website
        (www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> ).

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is, as you
          have said, “broken”? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in for the town,
          but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since there well could be
          other “possibles” in the area that are not in Osuske proper.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            Hi Joanne - Your village is Osuske with an accent over the last e. You don't need the name of the church - just write to the Farrar - the pastor - although many of the record books from before 1895 or 1900 have gone to a regional archive or the main one in Bratislava. I don't think the LDS has released the NITRA records yet.

            A letter might work - tho church pastors are not genealogists and may not want to bother replying. Sometimes a letter to the mayor will have the letter passedto the family.

            Or llook in Slovak phone book on line - for your surnames in Osuske or Jablonica the next village that is a larger.Letters are best written in Slovak and not all get answered. I have a form letter in Slovak you could try using. if you would like it send me an e mail directly helenezx@.... I also have a friend in Slovakia who has been helping people - e mail letters to her and she translates and mails in Slovakia and gets the replies and translates them and e mails to America. It works some of the time but not 100%.

            Do you have any old addresses from the old country or baptismal or marriage documents - sometimes these have clues like house numbers and help to identify your branch of the family. Sometimes the reason we don't get replies is that half the village has the same surname.

            I love your village - it has the most beautiful folk dress!

            Good luck!

            helene

            bojomo42 <bojomo@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
              Dear John,
              Osuske records are not in Nitra archive , but in Bratislava!!!
              How can you tell that?
              Vladimir

              following web site: http://iabsi.com/

              Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
              research, that's BAD news.

              >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
              and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
              would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
              name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
              might find out that information. <<<

              Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

              1) GETTING STARTED
              The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
              who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
              research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

              Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
              (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

              2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
              LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
              references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
              are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
              THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
              released.

              3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
              Go to the LDS web site:

              LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
              go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
              about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
              and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
              already be on hand but not the census films.

              Go to the LDS web site:

              4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
              They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
              the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
              a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
              b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

              If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
              will also have a thousand questions.

              Ask away. There is much to learn.

              __________ Informacia od NOD32 1950 (20061231) __________

              http://www.eset.sk

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                >>> John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is,
                as you have said, "broken"? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in
                for the town, but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since
                there well could be other "possibles" in the area that are not in
                Osuske proper.<<<

                > There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
                > Malatinský Jozef
                > E.Lehockeho 143,
                > Osuske
                > 906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
                > SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

                Well, I didn't explain all my (secret) methods.

                1) I used the Slovak phone look-up page, along with the area code.
                2) I used short forms plus wild card, eg: Malat* to ensure that I
                covered spelling inconsistencies and the female form.
                3) The postal code came from Podrobny Auto Atlas but it can also be had
                from http://www.slovenskaposta.sk/index.php
                4) YES, there are other possibles in the area. However, possibilities
                probably decline with the fourth root of the distance travelled. At
                best, The Adam Theroem = Two Village Rule would apply.

                OK, now the secret is out. Now you know all!
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                  >>>Osuske records are not in Nitra archive, but in Bratislava!!!<<<

                  Mine was just an unlucky/incorrect guess. Bratislava it is.