Re: [S-R] Village of Osuska, Slovakia

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello Joanne:

      Here's a link to a very brief article (in English) in Wikipedia regarding
      the village of OSUSKE in the TRNAVA region of Slovakia.

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osusk%C3%A9_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osuské)

      It mentions that the first known written reference to the village dates
      back to 1262 A.D. and that a catholic church was first mentioned in 1468.
      Unfortunately, it does not give the name of the church. A second article written
      in Slovak in Wikipedia provides more extensive information regarding the
      village It references a kaplnka sv. Bartolomeja ("chapel of St. Bartholomew")
      in 1738, but my knowledge of Slovak is very limited and I could not tell if
      this was the name of the catholic church itself, a part of the church, or
      another church altogether. If you do a search in _www.google.com_
      (http://www.google.com) for OSUSKE you should find a couple other brief mentions of the
      village, including some in English.

      The KOVALCIK surname does appear in my direct lineage in the SPIS area of
      Slovakia, from the village of SLATVINA to be exact. It is a common surname in
      Slovakia, a diminutive of the word KOVAL meaning "blacksmith" and essentially
      means "little blacksmith" or "son of the blacksmith." The distances are
      quite far for any connection, but if you ever find any references that they were
      from the Spis region, please let me know. In other church records, I've
      seen people who moved from what was then GALACIA (Poland) into Slovakia, so I
      never say never. I wish you well in your search.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        Dear Janet,
        For the sake of local slovaks I decided to name my research company KONEKTA. Were it in english, it would have been CONNECTA.
        The name should tell all. I connect people.
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          Dear Joanne,
          I will make it short;
          - forget looking for the name of the church. This is a US approach for US churches.
          - if you write to the priest, he has no such books and will probably not bother to answer either.
          - if you find someone with your surnames, what you will have to ask him is to go to the archive in Bratislava and study Osuske records for you. Is this what you want? You can not tell, that he is your relative and he does not know that either. So, what do you offer him to do this in return? it is not easy to get to the Bratislava archive. You have to wait for your turn a month or more. And not just anybody is familiar with reading the records and perform a proper systematic research. And, for such a guy, one day in the archive will not be enough. He will have to apply for another term and wait another month or two and go there again. After this he will have to research in the Town Hall, which has records after 1895 in order to find out, who your relatives might be.
          Who can accept such a task? If the person you find is working, there is no time. He would have to take a day off. Or more. If he is retired, he has no money to finance this.
          And, provided you will find some more data in this fashion, you will have plenty of more questions to be answered.
          Can you put such a burden on someone just because you would like to know?
          Please, consider this seriously.
          A complicated problem ( which looking for relatives almost always is) can not be marginalized just to save money. In principle, there are no shortcuts.
          Some of the members of the list can tell you this is true.
          Read my article about this very issue. www.konekta.sk I have done it hundreds of times.
          Vladimir Bohinc

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
            >>> A complicated problem (which looking for relatives almost always
            is) can not be marginalized just to save money. In principle, there are
            no shortcuts.<<<

            Vladimir, you make a very good point. I have been at it for 12 years
            and have made 5 trips to eastern Slovakia -- and still I have huge gaps
            in my database. Some of the relevant church records are in Hungary and
            others in Romania.

            On the other hand, the rewards are huge. I am welcomed in many homes in
            Slovakia. I Skype several times a week. We exchange e-mails. The
            mailing list has gotten longer. Current database updates arrive
            periodically. And yet, some family members have no desire to
            participate.

            My encounters with other researchers around the world (literally) have
            been exceptionally rewarding.
          • ROBERT LISTON
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
              Dear Vladimir,
              Thank you for the information about my grandfather. I tried to access your research company. I believe you have misspelled the KONEKTA part of it. You reversed the T and the K. I am following your instructions and have gotten as far as finding a Family History Center nearby. I was surprised to see one so near as we are pretty rural. I will pursue what I can and probably need your help in the future.
              Thank you so very much,
              Joanne

              PS I am not sure how this all works and didn't know if this email should be sent to just you or everyone!

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                >>> I tried to access your research company. I believe you have
                misspelled the KONEKTA part of it.<<<

                Find Vladimir at http://www.konekta.sk/
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
                  It was my error in transposing the letters in Konekta, and I did it twice.
                  Sorry, everyone. It is www.konekta.sk, not konetka. Vladimir's explanation
                  that it relates to the word "connect" will help me remember in the future.
                  At least I spelled his name correctly. :-)

                  Janet

                  _____

                  konetka@.... <mailto:konetka%40nm.psg.sk> sk. His website is
                  www.konetka.sk <http://www.konetka <http://www.konetka.sk/> sk/> .

[...]