Re: Village of Osuska, Slovakia

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      I am sorry to say that you have been working at this BACKWARDS. You
      would have had much more reason to visit Slovakia if you had done the
      research FIRST.

      Do yourself a big favour and start with careful study of the
      following web site: http://iabsi.com/

      Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
      research, that's BAD news.

      >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
      and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
      would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
      name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
      might find out that information. <<<

      Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

      1) GETTING STARTED
      The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
      who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
      research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

      Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
      (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

      2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
      references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
      are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
      THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
      released.

      3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      Go to the LDS web site:

      LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
      go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
      about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
      and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
      already be on hand but not the census films.

      Go to the LDS web site:

      4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
      They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
      the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
      a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
      b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

      If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
      will also have a thousand questions.

      Ask away. There is much to learn.
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        Pal Kovacsik, born 1884, immigrated from Oszusko on April 2, 1904, on the
        ship Prinzess Alice.

        Until LDS releases church records for western Slovakia, which may be a long
        wait, it might be your best bet to contact a professional genealogist in the
        area. Vladimir Bohinc, who is very highly regarded, can be reached at
        konetka@.... His website is www.konetka.sk <http://www.konetka.sk/> .
        He indicates there that he already has information on the Kovacik name.

        Good luck, Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
          them up in the phone book white pages at
          http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

          To use the search engine, you need to complete the first few letters
          of last name plus wild card *
          In the 'Town' section use area code 034.

          The Slovak area code map is at
          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

          There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
          Malatinský Jozef
          E.Lehockeho 143,
          Osuske
          906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
          SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

          You might consider writing a letter.
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            I absolutely agree with John about doing your research before visiting.
            Having a translator along is also a great help. Even ordering food in a
            restaurant can be more than challenging if you don’t know the language. (We
            had some pretty bad meals when we were on our own.)

            A wise person told us before our first visit that we should not expect to
            learn anything while we were there, that research is more easily done here
            at home. He also said we should focus on enjoying the country for what it
            is. Of course if you are fortunate enough to find distant relatives, that is
            another matter, one which Bill Tarkulich addresses on his excellent website
            (www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> ).

            Janet

            _____

            following web site: http://iabsi. <http://iabsi.com/> com/

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
              John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is, as you
              have said, “broken”? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in for the town,
              but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since there well could be
              other “possibles” in the area that are not in Osuske proper.

              Janet

              _____

              http://www.zoznamst <http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en>

              http://www.centroco <http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html>
              nsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

              There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
              Malatinský Jozef
              E.Lehockeho 143,
              Osuske
              906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
              SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

              You might consider writing a letter.

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                Hi Joanne - Your village is Osuske with an accent over the last e. You don't need the name of the church - just write to the Farrar - the pastor - although many of the record books from before 1895 or 1900 have gone to a regional archive or the main one in Bratislava. I don't think the LDS has released the NITRA records yet.

                A letter might work - tho church pastors are not genealogists and may not want to bother replying. Sometimes a letter to the mayor will have the letter passedto the family.

                Or llook in Slovak phone book on line - for your surnames in Osuske or Jablonica the next village that is a larger.Letters are best written in Slovak and not all get answered. I have a form letter in Slovak you could try using. if you would like it send me an e mail directly helenezx@.... I also have a friend in Slovakia who has been helping people - e mail letters to her and she translates and mails in Slovakia and gets the replies and translates them and e mails to America. It works some of the time but not 100%.

                Do you have any old addresses from the old country or baptismal or marriage documents - sometimes these have clues like house numbers and help to identify your branch of the family. Sometimes the reason we don't get replies is that half the village has the same surname.

                I love your village - it has the most beautiful folk dress!

                Good luck!

                helene

                bojomo42 <bojomo@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Dear John,
                  Osuske records are not in Nitra archive , but in Bratislava!!!
                  How can you tell that?
                  Vladimir

                  I am sorry to say that you have been working at this BACKWARDS. You
                  would have had much more reason to visit Slovakia if you had done the
                  research FIRST.

                  Do yourself a big favour and start with careful study of the
                  following web site: http://iabsi.com/

                  Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
                  research, that's BAD news.

                  >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
                  and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
                  would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
                  name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
                  might find out that information. <<<

                  Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

                  1) GETTING STARTED
                  The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
                  who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
                  research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

                  Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
                  (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

                  2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
                  LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                  Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                  references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
                  are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
                  THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
                  released.

                  3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
                  Go to the LDS web site:

                  LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
                  go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
                  about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
                  and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
                  already be on hand but not the census films.

                  Go to the LDS web site:

                  4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
                  They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
                  the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
                  a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
                  b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

                  If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
                  will also have a thousand questions.

                  Ask away. There is much to learn.

                  __________ Informacia od NOD32 1950 (20061231) __________

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                    >>> John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is,
                    as you have said, "broken"? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in
                    for the town, but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since
                    there well could be other "possibles" in the area that are not in
                    Osuske proper.<<<

                    > There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
                    > Malatinský Jozef
                    > E.Lehockeho 143,
                    > Osuske
                    > 906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
                    > SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

                    Well, I didn't explain all my (secret) methods.

                    1) I used the Slovak phone look-up page, along with the area code.
                    2) I used short forms plus wild card, eg: Malat* to ensure that I
                    covered spelling inconsistencies and the female form.
                    3) The postal code came from Podrobny Auto Atlas but it can also be had
                    from http://www.slovenskaposta.sk/index.php
                    4) YES, there are other possibles in the area. However, possibilities
                    probably decline with the fourth root of the distance travelled. At
                    best, The Adam Theroem = Two Village Rule would apply.

                    OK, now the secret is out. Now you know all!
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                      >>>Osuske records are not in Nitra archive, but in Bratislava!!!<<<

                      Mine was just an unlucky/incorrect guess. Bratislava it is.