Village of Osuska, Slovakia

  • bojomo42
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello,
      My grandfather and grandmother immigrated to the USA from what today
      is Osuska, Slovakia. Their names were Paul Kovachik (chek cic) and
      Antonia Danko. In October of this year we visited the village and
      found grave markers in the church cemetery with family surnames on
      them which leads us to believe that this is where they came from. We
      could get no information locally as only we spoke english. We could
      not even find the name of the church.

      Following is the information I have:

      Grandfather-Paul Kovachik (chek cic)
      Born-December 20, 1884
      Father-Joseph Kovachik
      Mother-Mary Malatenski (y)
      Catholic
      Occupation-Tailor
      Siblings-May have had 1 brother Tom?
      I can find no entry into the USA but plenty of documentation of his
      being in Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco through out his life.

      Grandmother-Antonia Danko (Kovachik)
      Born-November 11, 1885
      Father-George Danko
      Mother-Joanna Schulz
      Religion-Catholic
      Occupation-Housewife
      Siblings-Was said to have 12 brothers and sisters. Brother Josef
      Danko also immigrated to USA.
      I found evidence that she entered the US through Ellis Island on
      March 7, 1900 and worked as a mothers helper for a family in New
      Jersey before moving west to Los Angeles then San Francisco.

      My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them and
      any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
      would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
      name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
      might find out that information. I would greatly appreciate it. Of
      course any information on my family would be great

      Thank You,
      Joanne
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        I am sorry to say that you have been working at this BACKWARDS. You
        would have had much more reason to visit Slovakia if you had done the
        research FIRST.

        Do yourself a big favour and start with careful study of the
        following web site: http://iabsi.com/

        Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
        research, that's BAD news.

        >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
        and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
        would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
        name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
        might find out that information. <<<

        Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

        1) GETTING STARTED
        The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
        who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
        research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

        Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
        (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

        2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
        are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
        THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
        released.

        3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
        Go to the LDS web site:

        LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
        go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
        about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
        and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
        already be on hand but not the census films.

        Go to the LDS web site:

        4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
        They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
        the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
        a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
        b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

        If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
        will also have a thousand questions.

        Ask away. There is much to learn.
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          Pal Kovacsik, born 1884, immigrated from Oszusko on April 2, 1904, on the
          ship Prinzess Alice.

          Until LDS releases church records for western Slovakia, which may be a long
          wait, it might be your best bet to contact a professional genealogist in the
          area. Vladimir Bohinc, who is very highly regarded, can be reached at
          konetka@.... His website is www.konetka.sk <http://www.konetka.sk/> .
          He indicates there that he already has information on the Kovacik name.

          Good luck, Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
            them up in the phone book white pages at
            http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

            To use the search engine, you need to complete the first few letters
            of last name plus wild card *
            In the 'Town' section use area code 034.

            The Slovak area code map is at
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

            There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
            Malatinský Jozef
            E.Lehockeho 143,
            Osuske
            906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
            SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

            You might consider writing a letter.
          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
              I absolutely agree with John about doing your research before visiting.
              Having a translator along is also a great help. Even ordering food in a
              restaurant can be more than challenging if you don’t know the language. (We
              had some pretty bad meals when we were on our own.)

              A wise person told us before our first visit that we should not expect to
              learn anything while we were there, that research is more easily done here
              at home. He also said we should focus on enjoying the country for what it
              is. Of course if you are fortunate enough to find distant relatives, that is
              another matter, one which Bill Tarkulich addresses on his excellent website
              (www.iabsi.com <http://www.iabsi.com/> ).

              Janet

              _____

              following web site: http://iabsi. <http://iabsi.com/> com/

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is, as you
                have said, “broken”? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in for the town,
                but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since there well could be
                other “possibles” in the area that are not in Osuske proper.

                Janet

                _____

                http://www.zoznamst <http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en>

                http://www.centroco <http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html>
                nsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

                There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
                Malatinský Jozef
                E.Lehockeho 143,
                Osuske
                906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
                SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

                You might consider writing a letter.

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Hi Joanne - Your village is Osuske with an accent over the last e. You don't need the name of the church - just write to the Farrar - the pastor - although many of the record books from before 1895 or 1900 have gone to a regional archive or the main one in Bratislava. I don't think the LDS has released the NITRA records yet.

                  A letter might work - tho church pastors are not genealogists and may not want to bother replying. Sometimes a letter to the mayor will have the letter passedto the family.

                  Or llook in Slovak phone book on line - for your surnames in Osuske or Jablonica the next village that is a larger.Letters are best written in Slovak and not all get answered. I have a form letter in Slovak you could try using. if you would like it send me an e mail directly helenezx@.... I also have a friend in Slovakia who has been helping people - e mail letters to her and she translates and mails in Slovakia and gets the replies and translates them and e mails to America. It works some of the time but not 100%.

                  Do you have any old addresses from the old country or baptismal or marriage documents - sometimes these have clues like house numbers and help to identify your branch of the family. Sometimes the reason we don't get replies is that half the village has the same surname.

                  I love your village - it has the most beautiful folk dress!

                  Good luck!

                  helene

                  bojomo42 <bojomo@...> wrote:
[...]

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
                    Dear John,
                    Osuske records are not in Nitra archive , but in Bratislava!!!
                    How can you tell that?
                    Vladimir

                    I am sorry to say that you have been working at this BACKWARDS. You
                    would have had much more reason to visit Slovakia if you had done the
                    research FIRST.

                    Do yourself a big favour and start with careful study of the
                    following web site: http://iabsi.com/

                    Osuske (note sp) is in western Slovakia. In terms of genealogical
                    research, that's BAD news.

                    >>> My goal is to trace my family back and find any records of them
                    and any siblings they might have had. I think the best place to start
                    would be with the records in the village church. Does anyone know the
                    name of the church in the village of Osuska in Slovakia or how I
                    might find out that information. <<<

                    Such as it is, the information is close to your home.

                    1) GETTING STARTED
                    The 1869 Hungarian Census is available and will tell you everyomne
                    who lived in the village, their religion and much more. You can
                    research the films at your local LDS Family History Center (FHC).

                    Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190352 Item 4
                    (cont.) Oszuszko (Osuské) Film 2190353 Item 1

                    2) ESTABLISHING AVAILABILITY OF CHURCH RECORDS
                    LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                    Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                    references refer to different religions. Most of these church records
                    are available on film via your LDS Family History Center BUT NOT
                    THOSE OF WESTERN SLOVAKIA, which have not yet been indexed and
                    released.

                    3) LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
                    Go to the LDS web site:

                    LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER Fiches and Films
                    go there in person to order the 1869 Hungarian Census film(s). In
                    about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader
                    and begin your research. The above-mentioned fiches #6000786 may
                    already be on hand but not the census films.

                    Go to the LDS web site:

                    4) The church records have been moved to the Slovak Archive in Nitra.
                    They are NOT at the church. Having established what is available at
                    the Nitra Archive via fiches #6000786, you have two choices:
                    a) WAIT, possibly years, until the church records are released by LDS
                    b) HIRE a researcher to go to the archive and do the work for you.

                    If you follow the above steps, you will be well on your way and you
                    will also have a thousand questions.

                    Ask away. There is much to learn.

                    __________ Informacia od NOD32 1950 (20061231) __________

                    http://www.eset.sk

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                      >>> John, how did you manage to get a full address when the system is,
                      as you have said, "broken"? It worked for me only if I put Osuske in
                      for the town, but not if I used the ATC. This is pretty limited, since
                      there well could be other "possibles" in the area that are not in
                      Osuske proper.<<<

                      > There is ONE relevant (possibly) phone listing in the village.
                      > Malatinský Jozef
                      > E.Lehockeho 143,
                      > Osuske
                      > 906 12 Hradiste pod Vratnom
                      > SLOVAK REPLUBLIC

                      Well, I didn't explain all my (secret) methods.

                      1) I used the Slovak phone look-up page, along with the area code.
                      2) I used short forms plus wild card, eg: Malat* to ensure that I
                      covered spelling inconsistencies and the female form.
                      3) The postal code came from Podrobny Auto Atlas but it can also be had
                      from http://www.slovenskaposta.sk/index.php
                      4) YES, there are other possibles in the area. However, possibilities
                      probably decline with the fourth root of the distance travelled. At
                      best, The Adam Theroem = Two Village Rule would apply.

                      OK, now the secret is out. Now you know all!
                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                        >>>Osuske records are not in Nitra archive, but in Bratislava!!!<<<

                        Mine was just an unlucky/incorrect guess. Bratislava it is.