Re: [S-R] Surname Girbar

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      That's the woman Anna Gerbar, my g-g-g-g-g-grandmother who married Samuel Szabo around 1760. I think there was more information on the Gerbar family in C~akanovce but I don't think I had her parents' names. I can check. My theory was the Gerbars were native Slovaks into whose family the outsider/newcomer Szabo married. My other theory is that there was a large Rusyn element in the vicinity, with a lot of surnames like Fedoryak and Rusnak and Petrilla. Maybe Gerbar/Girbar is Rusyn.