RE: [S-R] Surname Girbar

  • Dan Kisha
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
      Bob Kocerha

      My mother's maiden name was Mary Ontko (from Windber, PA), and her
      mother's maiden name was Anna Kocserha, from Abranovce, Slovakia.
      I also visited the Lutheran Church in Zehna, Slovakia to find
      records of the family.

      Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
      Slovak Import Company
      New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
      Ebay WWW Address:
      http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
      Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2007
        Dear Bob and Dan,

        I found only one Girbar in the Ellis Island records--Andras, who immigrated
        in 1904 to his uncle Andras Kalivosko in Peale PA. He accompanied the
        latter's wife and child, also named Andras Kalivosko. They were all from
        Huvesz (now Lucina SK), which was close to Zsegnye (Zehna).

        Is it possible that there was a Catholic connection? Roman Catholic records
        are available for nearby villages of Tuhrina and Kokosovce. Since the
        Lutheran records don't seem to have been productive, it might be worth a
        shot to see if you can find your people there. Records of non-Catholics are
        occasionally found in RC churches for a variety of reasons, most typically
        if one of the spouses was Catholic.

        Girbar appears to be a very rare name. I was unable to find it in the phone
        directories for either Slovakia or Hungary.

        I wish you a successful hunt.

        Janet

        _____

        My mother's maiden name was Mary Ontko (from Windber, PA), and her
        mother's maiden name was Anna Kocserha, from Abranovce, Slovakia.
        I also visited the Lutheran Church in Zehna, Slovakia to find
        records of the family.

        Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@ <mailto:daniel.kisha%40prodigy.net> prodigy.net
        Slovak Import Company
        New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic <http://www.slovakic.com> .com
        Ebay WWW Address:
        http://www.ebaystor
        <http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store>
        es.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
        Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

        I researched the FHC microfilm for the Evangelical church in Zehna

        (near Presov). My ggrandmother Alzbeta Girbar (born abt 1851)
        married
        my ggrandfather Juraj Kocerha (born 1846). Is Girbar the
        Hungarian
        spelling? Her brother who immigrated to the U.S. changed it to
        Gibber
        after 1910. The church record did not indicate her birth village
        or
        that they were married in the Zehna Evangelical church. Thanks
        for
        any help. Bob Kocerha

        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
        ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
        email to SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2007
          I found a somewhat similar name in our Slvaok Pride data base -
          Gerbar Cakanovce ABOV

          e mail me direct if you wish more info

          helene
          helenezx@...