Lutheran Church in Slovakia

  • Bob Kalt
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2006
      The discussion about the Lutheran Churches in Slovakia should also
      include mention of the Articular Wooden Churches, which have become
      popular tourist sites. With the Edict of Toleration, in 1681, there
      where some "articles" drawn up to define how the Protestant churches
      could be constructed. Vlad Linder has some information and some
      pictures on his Slovak Heritage pages. See the following link:

      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Churcheslutheran/lutheran_churches_home.htm

      He explains about the Articular churches:

      "The articles laid down that they should be build only on the
      outskirts of the villages, outside of town walls, the whole
      church must be made of wood, hard materials as nails could not
      be used in the construction. The churches were not allowed to
      have bell towers, and their main entrances had to be situated
      on the side facing away from the road. They must be built in
      the period of one year."

      When I visited in Slovakia this past April - May, we stopped at four
      of the articular churches and I was greatly impressed by the wooden
      carving and paintings on the interior. Remarkable work.

      Bob Kaltenbaugh
      Reading, PA