Lutheran Church in Slovakia

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
      Thanks very much Janet. Your comments explain why so many of the
      Lutheran Churches in Gomor were built in the 1780s. Apparently,
      during the period when the Ottomans controlled Upper Hungary
      (Slovakia), they encouraged non-catholic religions as a means of
      creating unrest in the Hapsburg controlled portions of Hungary. When
      the Ottomans lost the Battle of Vienna in 1683, it took about sixteen
      years for the Austrians to retake all of Upper Hungary. The
      Hapsburgs then tried to destroy Protestantism in the region. As you
      said, it wasn't until 1781 that any degree of religious freedom was
      granted.

      The church in Stitnik is very old. It was built in 1355. So, it must
      have been a Catholic Church initially. It is unclear when it became
      an Evangelical Church but the Lutheran records there date from 1683.
      Here are a couple of links to sites about the village and church.

      http://www.tourist-channel.sk/obce/index.php3?lang=EN&pc=257

      http://www.sacr.sk/article?id=107&category=18&lang=en

      Carl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear David and Carl,

      > You can read a very brief history of the Evangelical church in
      Slovakia at
      > http://veraznanjemir.bos.org.yu/english/05_sec.htm. Its roots go
      back to
      > Martin Luther, and "Until 1670 most inhabitants of Austria-Hungary
      were
      > evangelists. [However] in the period 1670-1680 the evangelical
      church was
      > completely prohibited."
      >

      > Another article (http://www.ecav.sk/intl/english/church.htm) says:
      >

      > "The Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Slovakia
      (ECAV) is one
      > of the churches that emerged from the 16th Century Reformation.
      The ideas
      > of Martin Luther spread across the territory of the Hungarian
      kingdom very
      > quickly. In 1610, an independent evangelical religious
      organization was
      > established in ®ilina and by 1670 most of the inhabitants of
      Hungary were

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of david1law@...
      > Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 4:01 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Gömör/Gemer Megye
      >

      > Hello Janet:
      >
      > Would you be able to clarify your comment regarding the Lutheran
      > (Evangelical) Church being the dominant religion in Upper Hungary
      (Slovakia)
      > until the
      > Hapsburgs? In other words, which specific period in time are you
      referring
      > to? It is my understanding that Martin Luther made his important
      > proclamation
      > (the 95 thesis) in 1517, and that the Hapsburgs controlled the
      Kingdom of
      > Hungary (or various parts of it) in the 15th century (from 1436-
      1439 and
      > 1445-1457), before the Lutheran movement, and from 1526-1918.
      Without a
      > proper
      > time-frame, it is hard to understand your comments regarding the
      Lutheran