Lutheran Church in Gomor

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2006
      Dear Janet,
      Thank you for your message. In my research, I have found that many
      of the Lutheran Churches in Gomor where built in the late 1700s which
      is when many of their records first appear. Prior to that, the
      records were kept by the Catholic Churches for both faiths. One
      exception is the Lutheran Church in Stitnik which is much older. I
      have been told that the nobility in this area first changed from the
      Catholic religion and then much of the general population followed.
      Another very interesting thing that I find is that the Lutheran
      records for the 1700s and early 1800s are written in Slovak and
      sometimes Latin. Then in the mid 1800s, they all start being written
      in Hungarian. I'm sure this was due to the "magyarization" policies
      that occurred.

      Where is your family from and is your name Hungarian or Slovak?

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On