Re: [S-R] Slovak millionaires

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2006
      Vladimir,
      Here is one family I am aware.
      Michal Bosák (1869-1937), a Slovak immigrant to the U.S.A who came from Okrúhle, and who had soon become one of the most significant American bankers. He owned several banks in the U.S.A., and was a member of the Board of Directors of many others, like, for example, the Bank of Europe in New York or the First National Bank at Olyphant. He founded the American-Slovak Bank in Bratislava in 1920 and was elected its President in 1923. One of the bank's branches was in Presov and was nick-named as Bosák's Bank.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2006
        Ant the building is still in Presov and it is
        beautiful. The difference is that in USA all
        Slovak millionaires made the money with hard
        work. Slovak millionaires in SLOVAKIA were made
        during the shady deals of previous governments,
        where the people in the in circle were able to
        get businesses and factories for next to nothing,
        were able to default on the loans, were able to
        tunell out the businesses and they are still
        free. If you see and search who the Slovak
        millionaires are, you will find that almost all
        of them have some connections to Communist that
        were in the seat at that time and still are. Very
        few made it with really hard work if any. It is
        disgusting how much these people are showing off
        their STOLEN WEALTH, the way they act, the way
        they dress, what they drive and how they drive.
        Unbelievable. THe law of the country means
        nothing to them and they get away wit everything.
        It is something short of anarchy.

        Just my 2 cents.

        Vladi

        At 08:59 AM 12/24/2006, you wrote:

        >Vladimir,
        >Here is one family I am aware.
        >Michal Bosák (1869-1937), a Slovak immigrant to
        >the U.S.A who came from Okrúhle, and who had
        >soon become one of the most significant American
        >bankers. He owned several banks in the U.S.A.,
        >and was a member of the Board of Directors of
        >many others, like, for example, the Bank of
        >Europe in New York or the First National Bank at
        >Olyphant. He founded the American-Slovak Bank in
        >Bratislava in 1920 and was elected its President
        >in 1923. One of the bank's branches was in
        >Presov and was nick-named as Bosák's Bank.
        >Michael Mojher

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2006
          Vladimir,
          There are millionaires and there are millionaires. In California, where I live, the median price of a home is above $500,000. In the county where I live 75% of the people living here could not afford to buy a new home even if the husband and wife are working. Yet according to the financial assets definition of a millionaire thousands of us who bought homes 20 to 30 years ago would have enough equity and other assets that would qualify us to be defined as millionaires. The reality is we are working class living on a "beer budget" not "champagne millionaires".
          Michael Mojher
          Net worth vs. financial assets
          Recently there has been some controversy over how to correctly determine a person's status as a millionaire. One of the two most commonly used measurements is net worth, which counts the total value of all property owned by a household minus the household's debts. According to this definition a household owning a $800k home, $50k furnishing, two cars worth $60k, a $60k IRA, $45k in mutual funds and a $325k vacation home with a $250k mortgage, $40k in car loans and $25k in credit card debt, would be worth $1,025,000 and every individual in this household would thus be a millionaire. According to the financial assets measurement, however, real estate equity, which accounts for the greatest portions of wealth among American households, is excluded. So are all other fixed assets such as the car and furniture.

          Due to the difference in counted assets between the two measurement systems the results of both measurements differ greatly. According to Capgemini consulting there were 2.9 million millionaires in America and 8.7 million millionaires worldwide in 2005[1]. According to NFO Worldgroup there were 3.8 million millionaires in the United States in 2003 [2]. According to the net worth measurement, TNS financial services reports there were 8.2 million millionaire households in the United States in 2003 [1][1]. The main difference between the two is that real estate equity is not counted in the former, which greatly reduces the number of millionaire households.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2007
            Hello,

            Searching for Slovak millionaires in the United States, interesting. My family is Slovak. The name is "Majercik" and my Uncle made a fortune here as a engineer. By American standards, he was affluent, but he worked he invested and he managed to have a piece of real estate worth quite a bit from it's location. Here is my address, Gmajercik@.... A person of our descent in the US rarely does well, and I know this to be true from my own experience as a slovak. My father served in the US Marines, owned his house in New Jersey, and worked for a large corporation, Sears, most of his life. I had him in my life until I was 15, but he died an unnatural death at age 55. I've worked all my life and have very little. It was through my family later in life that I was able to obtain a few things, but I'm not doing well now. I've taken a interest in my ancestry and it's given me alot of insight into myself. My hope early in life was to become an attorney,
            but I left that after I invested my savings into a law degree and failed several courses. This was as a 2nd generation slovak and the degree was taken at a ABA approved law school in Chicago which had a reputation of accepting children of immigrant parents. It is The John Marshall Law School.
            That was my attempt at becoming "moneyed" by having a profession. Afterwards, some unfortunate things happenned to me. A time in jail for passing checks which were not written to me, and once that ended, I went to work, constantly, at a transportation company. 60 hours a week. I moved to a southern state, and it's like I just came here from a different country. Southerners are backward and treat newcomers like dirt. My first job here, I earned $120 a week and this was in 1995, cleaning for a "Christain" couple who ran a business out of their house. I did all the work and the husband just handled the payments to him and his wife. Now, I'm divorced with one son and my wife remarried here in 2000 and with our son, she just collects money too, child support. This is a Slovak's tale in the USA and it's all true. I just want to work like I did before coming here and forget about all the pain. Someday, the pain will simply end.

            Gregory Majercik
            Gmajercik@....

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
              I have received letters and cards that are all wirtten in Slovak. The only person in NE Indiana who could translate them for me has passed away. Would anyone be interested in helping me translate them. There are about 4 cards and 2 notes. They come from Sambron, Slovakia.

              Thanks

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comCC: gregorypmajercik@...: gmajercik@...: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:55:20 -0800Subject: Re: [S-R] Slovak millionaires

              Hello, Searching for Slovak millionaires in the United States, interesting. My family is Slovak. The name is "Majercik" and my Uncle made a fortune here as a engineer. By American standards, he was affluent, but he worked he invested and he managed to have a piece of real estate worth quite a bit from it's location. Here is my address, Gmajercik@.... A person of our descent in the US rarely does well, and I know this to be true from my own experience as a slovak. My father served in the US Marines, owned his house in New Jersey, and worked for a large corporation, Sears, most of his life. I had him in my life until I was 15, but he died an unnatural death at age 55. I've worked all my life and have very little. It was through my family later in life that I was able to obtain a few things, but I'm not doing well now. I've taken a interest in my ancestry and it's given me alot of insight into myself. My hope early in life was to become an attorney,but I left that after I invested my savings into a law degree and failed several courses. This was as a 2nd generation slovak and the degree was taken at a ABA approved law school in Chicago which had a reputation of accepting children of immigrant parents. It is The John Marshall Law School.That was my attempt at becoming "moneyed" by having a profession. Afterwards, some unfortunate things happenned to me. A time in jail for passing checks which were not written to me, and once that ended, I went to work, constantly, at a transportation company. 60 hours a week. I moved to a southern state, and it's like I just came here from a different country. Southerners are backward and treat newcomers like dirt. My first job here, I earned $120 a week and this was in 1995, cleaning for a "Christain" couple who ran a business out of their house. I did all the work and the husband just handled the payments to him and his wife. Now, I'm divorced with one son and my wife remarried here in 2000 and with our son, she just collects money too, child support. This is a Slovak's tale in the USA and it's all true. I just want to work like I did before coming here and forget about all the pain. Someday, the pain will simply end. Gregory MajercikGmajercik@....----- Original Message ----From: Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...>To: World Slovak <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>Cc: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comSent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 4:25:42 AMSubject: [S-R] Slovak millionairesThis morning at the breakfast conference with my wife a strage thought came to my mind;Can it be, that today we have more slovak millionaires in Slovakia ( in absolute numbers), than there are in US ( after 100 years of being there)?I am inclined to believe that.I am almost convinced.Does anyone know a wealthy millionaire of Slovak descent in US?Vladimir[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotelsin 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit.http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • gregory majercik
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12, 2007
                Dear Ms. Powers....

                I would love to be able to translate for you....I'm sorry that I've taking a long time to reply....I lost my computer and it's still not repaired...I work with someone out of state and someone else was to bring the computer to him.....Here's my address until I can get this matter worked out

                Gmajercik@...

                Let me know if your still interested.

                Gregory P. Majercik