Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Mormon records

  • Legrisjm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27 1:09 AM
      Please, leave me quite !
    • Legrisjm@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 27 1:11 AM
        I fuck you !
      • Legrisjm@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27 1:12 AM
        • Legrisjm@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27 1:13 AM
          • Legrisjm@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27 1:13 AM
            • sabinov@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27 8:25 AM
                I think "not being considered for extraction" has to do with the LDS not
                taking the names listed on that film for proxy baptisms into their
                church, not to do with whether or not the film can leave the main
                library.

                Many of those you find in the IGI are "extracted" from microfilms, not
                submitted by related family members. I am not a Mormon, but it's been
                explained to me that their practice is to baptise those by proxy, and
                then if the person does not wish to "accept" that religion in the
                afterlife they don't have to. Or something like that. I do know that
                many people have been complaining that they are finding relatives in the
                IGI (meaning these baptisms and marriage sealings were done without
                family permission)... in fact there was a big problem about a year or so
                ago when a Jewish group found out that the Mormons "baptized" a lot of
                people on some microfilm of those killed at concentration camps, and the
                Mormons ended up pulling those names out of the IGI.

                I'm not Mormon bashing or anything, just trying to explain what the IGI
                is and what extractions are. So many people get upset about "I can't
                find my person in the IGI", but they don't realize what the IGI is a
                database -of-.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 27 11:46 AM
                  Maura,

                  I know that you weren't Mormon Bashing --- You explained what we do with the
                  records quite well. There is just one thing that I want to mention. I
                  realize that there were some folks (Jewish Ancestors) who were disturbed
                  about the name extraction program and the work that we do with proxy
                  baptisms, etc. However, it occurs to me that if a person doesn't believe in
                  what we are doing, then why get upset. If someone doesn't believe that what
                  we are doing matters and that their beliefs differ (we respect that) however,
                  then in their minds all of our efforts would be null and void, so whether we
                  do it don't shouldn't matter at all.

                  Hope that clears it up.

                  Joy An Johnson
                  Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
                • cherpaint@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28 1:39 AM
                    Thanks for the information. I know very little of the LDS or IGI, this is
                    very helpful. Carol Hopchak
                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28 1:36 PM
                      At 02:46 PM 5/27/00 EDT, you wrote:

                      >I know that you weren't Mormon Bashing --- You explained what we do with the
                      >records quite well.

                      However, it occurs to me that if a person doesn't believe in
                      >what we are doing, then why get upset. If someone doesn't believe that what
                      >we are doing matters and that their beliefs differ (we respect that)
                      however,
                      >then in their minds all of our efforts would be null and void, so whether we
                      >do it don't shouldn't matter at all.

                      With all due respect: I see your point, however, 1) many people find it
                      offensive that Mormons are making these "efforts" in relation to people of
                      other religions who cannot speak or choose for themselves. Yes, I know
                      that the belief is that they can reject this in the afterlife, but they
                      should have been given the choice beforehand to start with. This is
                      especially offensive, I think, to those whose family members died for their
                      religion. It is very presumptuous to be doing something--or trying to do
                      something--to other peoples' deceased family.

                      2) "then why get upset"--"it shouldn't matter at all"; you would deny them
                      the right to have feelings about this?? They don't have to justify why
                      this upsets them! The mere fact that this upsets them should be (and
                      apparently was) reason to reconsider.

                      With regard to my own ancestors, I don't really care, because I don't
                      believe the Mormons' efforts will have any effect (as you pointed out
                      above). But I know people, especially Jews, who care very very much and
                      are very upset about this. So for that reason alone, I feel it should not
                      be done.

                      I realize that we are probably not going to agree on this issue; but I do
                      ask that you realize where others are coming from and not think that their
                      feelings about the issue aren't important.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 28 6:48 PM
                        Point well taken ---- I do see their point --- I was just stating mine. Mine
                        not the Church's. The Church has come out and made statements concerning
                        their extraction program and when the Holocost records were being extracted
                        and the Jewish population became upset, they immediately stopped and promised
                        that they wouldn't continue. They have kept that promise and will continue
                        to do so.

                        I did and do not feel the need to take away the feelings of others, I was
                        just stating mine.

                        As for the people having the chance to make that choice for themselves in
                        this life, perhaps they didn't have that chance --- hence this is why we do
                        what we do as proxy representatives. We believe that an individual is an
                        individual and that they exist as such in the hereafter and can make their
                        own choices. That is also why we do what we do.

                        I hope that this clears up my statement.

                        Peace....

                        Joy Johnson