Re: [S-R] Marriages between different religions

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2006
      Thank you for the replies.
      Janet, to answer your question, the Catholic family name was Szabados
      and they lived in Kun Tapolcza (now Kunova Teplica). The Lutheran
      family name was Vapenik and they lived in Kisgencs which is sometimes
      just called Gencs and is today called Honce. But the marriages
      occurred in the Lutheran Church in Csetnek (Stitnik). There is not a
      Catholic Church in Kun Taplolcza but I checked and there is one in
      Csetnek. (This is when I really miss not having the Dvorszak
      Gazetteer on line anymore.) So, I think I will order the Catholic
      films for Csetnek and see if some of the children were baptized in
      that church.
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Carl,
      >

      > Menyasszony simply means bride in Hungarian.
      >

      > Although mixed marriages were not the norm, we see plenty of them
      in the
      > records. Sometimes the family chose to baptize sons in the father's
      church
      > and daughters in the mother's. (I know personally of one instance
      where this
      > is still done today.) Occasionally you will see lists of
      conversions in the
      > church records, so this must have happened in some cases, but there
      were
      > probably many where there was no conversion and the husband and
      wife kept
      > their traditional religions.
      >

      > Bear in mind also that the religion of the godparents may be
      different, and
      > the child may be baptized in their church. (The baby was taken to
      the church
      > for baptism by the godmother.) However, the religion of the child,
      if
      > different from the godparents, would be noted.
      >

      > You have not noted what village you are looking at. I presume that
      it had
      > only a Lutheran church. You may need to identify the closest Roman
      Catholic

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On