Re: [S-R] Domovy List

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
      Dear Vladimir - thank you so much for sending it - so sorry I haven't replied.
      I was in the throes of doing my Slovakia magazine and getting it off to the printer. The new program I am using is so creative but has a very loooong learning curve.

      So thank you so much - i was fascinated to see the domovy list. So was it considered a town census record?? A personal record or what. Wound;t Domovy List be translated to House Record?

      i know that in Southern Bohemia the homes had their own genealogy - a list of all the families who lived in that house from the 1500s to the present.

      Then in Moravia my family gave us several Rodny List from WW II times - they told me this showed several generations back and was to prove there was no Jewish blood in the family; they had genealogy as your document does and I noted that your document was issued in 1939 and had a man born in 1922 and listed his father and grandfather and their birthdates.
      I noted the house number too.

      Some of the ones I originally wrote -the Mondok ones -came to me from a woman who will travel with us this summer - I find they vary a bit from place to place - hers had less genealogy info - her family left in the 1920s.

      helene

      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
      Dear Helene,
      a week ago I sent you a scan of such a document. Since then no word about it. Have you received it?
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
        Dear Helen,
        This document has nothing to do with the census.It is a document that proves someone's citizenship.You had one, you were a Slovak. You did not have one, you were a stranger.
        The idea that people wrote them by themselves is ridiculous. Many could not write.
        This is an official document with tax stamps. Have it translated and you will see.
        Best regards,
        Vladimir

        I sent it to you just to stop the discussion, which went in an absolutely wrong way.

        ux <helenezx@...> wrote:
        I have been asked about a Domovy List issued to a Maria Mondok in 1925 - she lived in Krusovce, a village just outside of Topolcany. She came to America after that.

        I would guess this document was to prove her residence, citizenship - anyone have other info?

        helene

        __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

        http://www.eset.sk

        __________ Informacia od NOD32 1909 (20061207) __________

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Dr. Joe Q.
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
          If your are not a citizen of the USA you are an - - - ALIEN.

          Is this the same meaning as "stranger" as in the French foreign legion
          "e'trage`re"?

          Dr. "Q"

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
            Maybe I should have written foreigner. If you were not born in that place, if your father was not born in that place, then you were a foreigner.
            Do we really have to split hair on that?
            Vladimir

            Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

            > Dear Helen,
            > This document has nothing to do with the census.It is a document that
            > proves someone's citizenship.You had one, you were a Slovak. You did
            > not have one, you were a stranger.
            > The idea that people wrote them by themselves is ridiculous. Many
            > could not write.
            > This is an official document with tax stamps. Have it translated and
            > you will see.
            > Best regards,
            > Vladimir
            >
            > I sent it to you just to stop the discussion, which went in an
            > absolutely wrong way.

            __________ Informacia od NOD32 1914 (20061211) __________

            http://www.eset.sk

          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
              Hi Vladimir - thanks for the further info on domovy list.

              Don't think i ever said that people wrote their own. The Rodiny list that I spoke about were official documents as were the Slovak Domovy List ones I received.

              Appreciate your input

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                Dear Helen,
                No , it was not you who said that, but the other person. This was misleading and therefore I sent the document.
                Vladimir