Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Ancestors from Pezinok

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26 12:56 PM
      In a message dated 5/26/0 8:33:15 PM, Fndngczns@... writes:

      << I have ancestors that came from the village of Bosing, Hungary (present
      day
      Pezinok, Slovakia) and other surrounding villages of Modra, Grunau and
      Limbach, >>

      Hi Chris -

      Last I looked Jozef kaufmann had a lot of info on Pezinok on his web site
      (it's his home town) a wonderful place.

      go to www.Our-Slovakia.com

      They have a wine festival in Modra or Pezinok in alternate years. There was
      a German Church in each place. Pezinok was featuree in a cover story of our
      Slovakiamagazine a few years back - copies are still available.

      It's a marvelous historic Royal town and still has many attractive sights
      including a charming mini-castle in the heart of town surrounded by rose
      gardens.

      Had loks~e - pancakes with goose grease - a great fall delicasy - in
      Limbach at the super restaurant there in an imposing old building -it's a
      wonderful place with great food. Many tourists go here for the wine and the
      food and the charming surroundings in the foothills of the Small Carpathian
      Mts..

      Modra is where famed ceramic artist Jozef Franko carries on the old Haban
      tradition - he took us to homes there that were Hugenot meeting houses some
      400 years ago. I have often wondered if the famed Modra pottery was
      stimulated by these immigrants from France and Italy who sheltered in Moravia
      for almost 100 years until they were expelled in1591; many went to western
      Slovakia and were in the forefront of the colorful faience that is the
      ancestor of today's Modra ceramics.

      If you want Duncan Gardiner's e mail address get back to me at my e mail
      helenezx@... for his book.

      helene