Re: (S-R) FYI Slovak naming patterns

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2006
      When I examined given naming conventions several years ago, found that
      Slavic and Central European patterns seem to be the same as the English
      and
      Irish naming patterns.

      http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/35_donna.html?Welcome=994774593
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/naming.htm
      http://www.rootsource.com/names.htm
      http://www.tcarden.com/tree/ensor/Name.html

      There was a large selection of given names, usually Hungarian and
      then Slovak.
      Some followed a naming convention as G.C. and Carpatho-Rusyns did.
      First male named after x relative and next after y relative , etc.
      Sometimes the female surname bearers as well.

      Then there were Slovak name days, i.e., Menne Kalendarium.
      It was also customary to celebrate not day of birth but one's "name
      day" . Child would be named for the saint whose day it was in the
      ecclesiastical calendar.

      http://www.iarelative.com/saints.htm

      Frank Kurcina