Re: [S-R] Help Naming my Son(?) after my Father

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hi Jon,

      I'm not sure how to obtain copies of the birth certificates in short order,
      but if you know the village where your grandfather was born, there may be a
      couple of alternate routes that you can check by finding the village of origin
      of your grandfather and tracking down the church record where the baptism
      and birth was originally recorded. This could be accomplished in several ways:
      (1) Check the _http://www.familysearch.org/_ (http://www.familysearch.org/)
      for the village of origin and see if the village records have been
      microfilmed for the village of origin for the year that your grandfather was born.
      This is more of a long-shot as most records after 1895 were not microfilmed
      because of privacy concerns. I have, however, seen some church records that
      were microfilmed in selected parishes until about 1910. (2) A second route may
      be to hire a local genealogist in Slovakia to track down the church record
      and any other related records for you.

      Here is also a very good site that gives the background on the name ANDREW
      and its variant spellings in various languages.

      _http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=andrew_
      (http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=andrew)

      The site gives a brief history of the name ANDREW and if you click the
      RELATED NAMES link to the right, you will find the various spellings for the name
      ANDREW in various languages. ANDREW is a great name. It is a great thought
      that you have to honor your father and name your son after him, and to carry
      on the family tradition that you have traced back to your grandfather.

      Best regards,

      David

      P.S. My grandfather's name was also ANDREW and when he was born in 1893,
      the spelling in the church records was ANDRAS (a Magyar spelling), although he
      was Slovak. My uncle, his second son, was named after him.