Help Naming my Son(?) after my Father

  • Jon Popovecz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2006
      I am looking for some help.

      My wife and I are expecting our first baby and have
      been discussing names. We are thinking to name the
      baby after my father if it is a boy.

      My father was born in Slovakia back in 1934 and his
      name was Andrej/Ondrej. We are Slovak and I believe
      the Slovak spelling is Ondrej. However, my
      Grandfather, born in 1902, was named Andrej. That is
      the spelling on his birth certificate which I believe
      is the Maygar spelling. I assume my dad's name was
      spelled the same as my grandpa's.

      I would like to use the spelling as my dad was named.
      My dad died 10 years ago and my grandparents are gone
      as well. All American documentation says Andrew.

      Can someone point me in the quickest way to try to
      track down my father's birth certificate to obtain the
      correct version of Andrej/Ondrej?

      I have 7 months to figure this out if it's a boy. If
      it's a girl, I have a few years...I hope. I would
      like a second child and one of each.

      Thank You

      Jon

      Have a burning question?
    • Dr. Joe Q.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2006
        I believe that Andrej is probably the more common spelling, however,
        Ondrej is also acceptable. Andrej would reduce the number odd questions
        when he has to fill out various forms.

        If "he" is a "she" - - - Andrea is a nice name.

        Please don't fret about boy or girl, either one is a miracle and blessing.

        Best wishes and please visit:

        http://www.pediatrixscreening.com/

        Dr. "Q"