Re: [S-R] another town IT IS HANDLOVA!!!!!!

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
      For your information the town that was called NYITRABANYA in 1913 is
      now called HANDLOVA near PRIEVIDZA.

      100% SURE.

      Vladi

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux
      <helenezx@...> wrote:

      > It's now called Bojna and it is about 7 km west of Topolcany.
      There is a little
      > kastiel or small castle there. Likely when your document was
      issued the country was Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire) but now it
      is located in western Slovakia.

      > i don't have your surnames listed in our Slovak Pride data base
      and would really like to have them - all i need is last name and
      village if known.

      > helene
      >
      > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
      > I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to
      be in
      > Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
      > jeanann

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
        Vladi, you may be correct about Nyitrabanya, but Jeanann was asking about
        Nyitrabajna, a different village. Both were in Nyitra, but Nyitrabajna was
        in Nagytapolcsanyi district, and Nyitrabanya was in Privigyei. See the map
        at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg. Bill Tarkulich has
        pointed out that the correct Slovak name is Bojna.

        Janet

        _____

        <helenezx@...> wrote:

        > It's now called Bojna and it is about 7 km west of Topolcany.
        There is a little
        > kastiel or small castle there. Likely when your document was
        issued the country was Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire) but now it
        is located in western Slovakia.

        > i don't have your surnames listed in our Slovak Pride data base
        and would really like to have them - all i need is last name and
        village if known.

        > helene
        >
        > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
        > I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to
        be in
        > Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
        > jeanann

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          >>> For your information the town that was called NYITRABANYA in 1913
          is now called HANDLOVA near PRIEVIDZA.

          > 100% SURE.
          >
          > Vladi

          Yes, but the village in question is Nyitrabajna. "Bojná, Slovakia --
          formerly Nyitrabajna, Nyitra, Hungary," according to one reference.
          Bluegreen area on 1910 map.

          Your reference is to "Handlová (a.k.a. Kriegerháj, Krikehaj), Slovakia;
          formerly Handlova (a.k.a. Handlovia, Krikehey, Handlowa, Grägerhey,
          Krikeheu, Krickehay, Krikehey, Handlowá, Grägerhaj, Krückerháj,
          Andreasdorf, Nyitrabánya), Nyitra, Hungary." Olive green area, upper
          right of 1910 map.

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg