another town

  • Jeanann Jameson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
      I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to be in
      Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
      jeanann
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
        It's now called Bojna and it is about 7 km west of Topolcany. There is a little
        kastiel or small castle there. Likely when your document was issued the country was Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire) but now it is located in western Slovakia.

        i don't have your surnames listed in our Slovak Pride data base and would really like to have them - all i need is last name and village if known.

        helene

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          NYITRABAJNA is the Magyar name for the present-day town of BOJNA, SLOVAKAI

          Bill

          I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to be in
          Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
          jeanann

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
            <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

            > NYITRABAJNA is the Magyar name for the present-day town of BOJNA,
            SLOVAKAI

            > Bill

            St. JAMES BOOK and VIDEOS

            You can read about my St. JAMES BOOK
            at:http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/Stjames.htm
            Aand I have just released two new DVD's videos

            35th Anniversary of folklore group DETVA from DETVA, November 11,2006
            and
            50th Anniversary of folklore group JANOSIK from SVIT, November 18,
            2006

            http://lindervideo.com/DVD/2006%20DVD%20FLYER.pdf

            SLOVAK CHRISTMAS IS AT:
            http://lindervideo.com/DVD/2006%20DVD%20FLYER.pdf

            VLADI
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
              > St. JAMES BOOK and VIDEOS
              >

              > You can read about my St. JAMES BOOK
              > at:http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/Stjames.htm
              > Aand I have just released two new DVD's videos
              >
              > 35th Anniversary of folklore group DETVA from DETVA, November
              11,2006
              > and
              > 50th Anniversary of folklore group JANOSIK from SVIT, November 18,
              > 2006
              >
              > http://lindervideo.com/DVD/2006%20DVD%20FLYER.pdf
              >
              > SLOVAK CHRISTMAS IS AT:
              > http://www.slovakheritage.org/Christmas/christmas_home.htm
              >
              > VLADI

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
                For your information the town that was called NYITRABANYA in 1913 is
                now called HANDLOVA near PRIEVIDZA.

                100% SURE.

                Vladi

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux
                <helenezx@...> wrote:

                > It's now called Bojna and it is about 7 km west of Topolcany.
                There is a little
                > kastiel or small castle there. Likely when your document was
                issued the country was Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire) but now it
                is located in western Slovakia.

                > i don't have your surnames listed in our Slovak Pride data base
                and would really like to have them - all i need is last name and
                village if known.

                > helene
                >
                > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
                > I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to
                be in
                > Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
                > jeanann

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
                  Vladi, you may be correct about Nyitrabanya, but Jeanann was asking about
                  Nyitrabajna, a different village. Both were in Nyitra, but Nyitrabajna was
                  in Nagytapolcsanyi district, and Nyitrabanya was in Privigyei. See the map
                  at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg. Bill Tarkulich has
                  pointed out that the correct Slovak name is Bojna.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  <helenezx@...> wrote:

                  > It's now called Bojna and it is about 7 km west of Topolcany.
                  There is a little
                  > kastiel or small castle there. Likely when your document was
                  issued the country was Hungary (Austro-Hungarian Empire) but now it
                  is located in western Slovakia.

                  > i don't have your surnames listed in our Slovak Pride data base
                  and would really like to have them - all i need is last name and
                  village if known.

                  > helene
                  >
                  > Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
                  > I just came across this name, Nytrabajna, its suppose to
                  be in
                  > Hungry.Do I have the right spelling? Has anyone ever heard of it?
                  > jeanann

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
                    >>> For your information the town that was called NYITRABANYA in 1913
                    is now called HANDLOVA near PRIEVIDZA.

                    > 100% SURE.
                    >
                    > Vladi

                    Yes, but the village in question is Nyitrabajna. "Bojná, Slovakia --
                    formerly Nyitrabajna, Nyitra, Hungary," according to one reference.
                    Bluegreen area on 1910 map.

                    Your reference is to "Handlová (a.k.a. Kriegerháj, Krikehaj), Slovakia;
                    formerly Handlova (a.k.a. Handlovia, Krikehey, Handlowa, Grägerhey,
                    Krikeheu, Krickehay, Krikehey, Handlowá, Grägerhaj, Krückerháj,
                    Andreasdorf, Nyitrabánya), Nyitra, Hungary." Olive green area, upper
                    right of 1910 map.

                    http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg