Re: [S-R] question about a town

  • matt_procter
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
      Small world indeed. I am from Western PA but the company I work for
      is headquartered in Darmstadt (Software AG). They sent me there for
      some training in March. When my training was done I rented a car and
      drove to Slovakia to visit my ancestral relatives. But just as I was
      leaving the region got hit with the worst snowstorm in 15 years.

      So a drive that should have taken 9 hours ended up being a 19 hour
      odyssey. Apparently, like my current hometown of Wash, DC, they
      don't get a lot of snow in that part of Germany so no one knows how
      to handle it when it happens. The roads were a solid sheet of ice.
      I have video of my literally standing on Germany's famed autobahn
      with traffic completely stopped bumper to bumper as far as you oculd
      see in either direction. As I crawled along the road there were
      accidents and spin outs everywhere. Seventeen people died on the
      roads that night.

      I made every mistake a traveler could make. I was traveling alone.
      Overnight. In a country I did not know. In bad weather My family
      only had only the faintest idea of my whereabouts (I'm going to
      Slovakia!). Every instinct I had told me to turn around and bag it.
      But my heart kept saying this is my one shot to see my homeland.

      A very long story short, I made it. And it was fantastic. But do
      factor in the the traffic. And watch out for the weather! I
      attached a few (not great) pictures of Darmstadt in the photos
      section. I'm working on a little home video of my trip and will post
      the link when it is finished.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...>