Re: [S-R] question about a town

  • Mary Hudec
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
      We spent Easter in Vienna last year. We drove and it
      took us 8 hours. It is a nice drive, but it takes
      awhile especially through the Alps around Salzburg.

      We're planning to go back this spring and Ryan
      Airlines has cheap flights from Frankfurt-Hahn to
      Bratislava. We're hoping to look around Bratislava and
      check out my Grandmother Bartosik's village too.

      Mary H
      --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

      > It is far enough that you can take an overnight
      > train from Vienna to
      > Frankfurt, then you have to transfer to go about 20
      > miles south to
      > Darmstadt. A Vienese atlas says 600 km, 375 miles.
      >
      > Ron
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson
      >
      > <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > thank-you its sounds very pretty. how far would
      > this
      > > be from vienna austria? jeanann
      > > --- Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Jeanann,
      > > >
      > > > Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
      > > > foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along
      > the
      > > > Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of
      > > > Frankfurt
      > > > and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it
      > is
      > > > home to a few US Army bases. We live just south
      > of
      > > > it
      > > > in Mannheim Germany.
      > > >
      > > > Mary H.

      > And
      > Jeanann

      > _______________
      > > > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at
      > > > www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.

      > _______________
      > > Want to start your own business?
      > > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      > > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

    • Mary Hudec
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        Ron,

        It is amazing what a small world it is. I work for
        28th Trans Bn.
        Autobahn 5 that goes through Darmstadt does have some
        really bad traffic. I think that it is worse around
        Stuttgart because the Germans are working on Autobahn
        6 in that area right now.

        Do you know how the Christmas markets are in Slovakia?

        Mary H
        --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

        > In about 10 days I will be in your neighborhood.
        > Some of my friends
        > live in Seehiem, just south of D'stadt. By teh way,
        > Darmstadt ahs
        > teh reputation for having the worst traffic of all
        > German cities ...
        > so say the Hesse. I worked on relocating 5th signal
        > in Manheim
        > about 11 years ago. The Hessen have a good sense of
        > humor.
        >
        > Will be heading from there tou an aunt in the Czech
        > Republic and
        > then on to Christmas in Slovakia.
        >
        > Ron
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hudec
        > <hawaiihudec@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Jeanann,
        > >
        > > Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
        > > foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along
        > the
        > > Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of
        > Frankfurt
        > > and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it is
        > > home to a few US Army bases. We live just south of
        > it
        > > in Mannheim Germany.
        > >
        > > Mary H.
        > >

        > > --- Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi does anyone know where Hesse Darmstadt is?
        > And
        > > > what country would
        > > > it have been in 1879? thanks in advance. Jeanann

        > _______________
        > > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at
        > www.Answers.yahoo.com.
        > Try it now.

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • matt_procter
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
          Small world indeed. I am from Western PA but the company I work for
          is headquartered in Darmstadt (Software AG). They sent me there for
          some training in March. When my training was done I rented a car and
          drove to Slovakia to visit my ancestral relatives. But just as I was
          leaving the region got hit with the worst snowstorm in 15 years.

          So a drive that should have taken 9 hours ended up being a 19 hour
          odyssey. Apparently, like my current hometown of Wash, DC, they
          don't get a lot of snow in that part of Germany so no one knows how
          to handle it when it happens. The roads were a solid sheet of ice.
          I have video of my literally standing on Germany's famed autobahn
          with traffic completely stopped bumper to bumper as far as you oculd
          see in either direction. As I crawled along the road there were
          accidents and spin outs everywhere. Seventeen people died on the
          roads that night.

          I made every mistake a traveler could make. I was traveling alone.
          Overnight. In a country I did not know. In bad weather My family
          only had only the faintest idea of my whereabouts (I'm going to
          Slovakia!). Every instinct I had told me to turn around and bag it.
          But my heart kept saying this is my one shot to see my homeland.

          A very long story short, I made it. And it was fantastic. But do
          factor in the the traffic. And watch out for the weather! I
          attached a few (not great) pictures of Darmstadt in the photos
          section. I'm working on a little home video of my trip and will post
          the link when it is finished.