Re: [S-R] question about a town

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
      It is far enough that you can take an overnight train from Vienna to
      Frankfurt, then you have to transfer to go about 20 miles south to
      Darmstadt. A Vienese atlas says 600 km, 375 miles.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson

      _______________

      _______________
      > Want to start your own business?
      > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

    • Mary Hudec
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
        We spent Easter in Vienna last year. We drove and it
        took us 8 hours. It is a nice drive, but it takes
        awhile especially through the Alps around Salzburg.

        We're planning to go back this spring and Ryan
        Airlines has cheap flights from Frankfurt-Hahn to
        Bratislava. We're hoping to look around Bratislava and
        check out my Grandmother Bartosik's village too.

        Mary H

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
          Ron,

          It is amazing what a small world it is. I work for
          28th Trans Bn.
          Autobahn 5 that goes through Darmstadt does have some
          really bad traffic. I think that it is worse around
          Stuttgart because the Germans are working on Autobahn
          6 in that area right now.

          Do you know how the Christmas markets are in Slovakia?

          Mary H
          --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

          > In about 10 days I will be in your neighborhood.
          > Some of my friends
          > live in Seehiem, just south of D'stadt. By teh way,
          > Darmstadt ahs
          > teh reputation for having the worst traffic of all
          > German cities ...
          > so say the Hesse. I worked on relocating 5th signal
          > in Manheim
          > about 11 years ago. The Hessen have a good sense of
          > humor.
          >
          > Will be heading from there tou an aunt in the Czech
          > Republic and
          > then on to Christmas in Slovakia.
          >
          > Ron
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hudec
          > <hawaiihudec@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Jeanann,
          > >
          > > Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
          > > foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along
          > the
          > > Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of
          > Frankfurt
          > > and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it is
          > > home to a few US Army bases. We live just south of
          > it
          > > in Mannheim Germany.
          > >
          > > Mary H.
          > >

          > > --- Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi does anyone know where Hesse Darmstadt is?
          > And
          > > > what country would
          > > > it have been in 1879? thanks in advance. Jeanann

          > _______________
          > > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at
          > www.Answers.yahoo.com.
          > Try it now.

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        • matt_procter
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
            Small world indeed. I am from Western PA but the company I work for
            is headquartered in Darmstadt (Software AG). They sent me there for
            some training in March. When my training was done I rented a car and
            drove to Slovakia to visit my ancestral relatives. But just as I was
            leaving the region got hit with the worst snowstorm in 15 years.

            So a drive that should have taken 9 hours ended up being a 19 hour
            odyssey. Apparently, like my current hometown of Wash, DC, they
            don't get a lot of snow in that part of Germany so no one knows how
            to handle it when it happens. The roads were a solid sheet of ice.
            I have video of my literally standing on Germany's famed autobahn
            with traffic completely stopped bumper to bumper as far as you oculd
            see in either direction. As I crawled along the road there were
            accidents and spin outs everywhere. Seventeen people died on the
            roads that night.

            I made every mistake a traveler could make. I was traveling alone.
            Overnight. In a country I did not know. In bad weather My family
            only had only the faintest idea of my whereabouts (I'm going to
            Slovakia!). Every instinct I had told me to turn around and bag it.
            But my heart kept saying this is my one shot to see my homeland.

            A very long story short, I made it. And it was fantastic. But do
            factor in the the traffic. And watch out for the weather! I
            attached a few (not great) pictures of Darmstadt in the photos
            section. I'm working on a little home video of my trip and will post
            the link when it is finished.