question about a town

  • Jeanann Jameson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi does anyone know where Hesse Darmstadt is? And what country would
      it have been in 1879? thanks in advance. Jeanann
    • Mary Hudec
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Jeanann,

        Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
        foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along the
        Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of Frankfurt
        and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it is
        home to a few US Army bases. We live just south of it
        in Mannheim Germany.

        Mary H.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
          thank-you its sounds very pretty. how far would this
          be from vienna austria? jeanann
          --- Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeanann,
          >
          > Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
          > foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along the
          > Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of
          > Frankfurt
          > and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it is
          > home to a few US Army bases. We live just south of
          > it
          > in Mannheim Germany.
          >
          > Mary H.
          >

          > --- Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi does anyone know where Hesse Darmstadt is? And
          > > what country would
          > > it have been in 1879? thanks in advance. Jeanann

          > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at
          > www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.

          Want to start your own business?
          Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
            In about 10 days I will be in your neighborhood. Some of my friends
            live in Seehiem, just south of D'stadt. By teh way, Darmstadt ahs
            teh reputation for having the worst traffic of all German cities ...
            so say the Hesse. I worked on relocating 5th signal in Manheim
            about 11 years ago. The Hessen have a good sense of humor.

            Will be heading from there tou an aunt in the Czech Republic and
            then on to Christmas in Slovakia.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...>

            _______________

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
              It is far enough that you can take an overnight train from Vienna to
              Frankfurt, then you have to transfer to go about 20 miles south to
              Darmstadt. A Vienese atlas says 600 km, 375 miles.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jeanann Jameson

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
                We spent Easter in Vienna last year. We drove and it
                took us 8 hours. It is a nice drive, but it takes
                awhile especially through the Alps around Salzburg.

                We're planning to go back this spring and Ryan
                Airlines has cheap flights from Frankfurt-Hahn to
                Bratislava. We're hoping to look around Bratislava and
                check out my Grandmother Bartosik's village too.

                Mary H

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Ron,

                  It is amazing what a small world it is. I work for
                  28th Trans Bn.
                  Autobahn 5 that goes through Darmstadt does have some
                  really bad traffic. I think that it is worse around
                  Stuttgart because the Germans are working on Autobahn
                  6 in that area right now.

                  Do you know how the Christmas markets are in Slovakia?

                  Mary H
                  --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

                  > In about 10 days I will be in your neighborhood.
                  > Some of my friends
                  > live in Seehiem, just south of D'stadt. By teh way,
                  > Darmstadt ahs
                  > teh reputation for having the worst traffic of all
                  > German cities ...
                  > so say the Hesse. I worked on relocating 5th signal
                  > in Manheim
                  > about 11 years ago. The Hessen have a good sense of
                  > humor.
                  >
                  > Will be heading from there tou an aunt in the Czech
                  > Republic and
                  > then on to Christmas in Slovakia.
                  >
                  > Ron
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Hudec
                  > <hawaiihudec@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Jeanann,
                  > >
                  > > Darmstadt is a wonderful town nestelled in the
                  > > foothills of the Odenwald forest and hills along
                  > the
                  > > Rhine River in Germany. It is just south of
                  > Frankfurt
                  > > and very easy to find on a modern map. Today it is
                  > > home to a few US Army bases. We live just south of
                  > it
                  > > in Mannheim Germany.
                  > >
                  > > Mary H.
                  > >

                  > > --- Jeanann Jameson <jjeanann2000@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi does anyone know where Hesse Darmstadt is?
                  > And
                  > > > what country would
                  > > > it have been in 1879? thanks in advance. Jeanann

                  > _______________
                  > > Any questions? Get answers on any topic at
                  > www.Answers.yahoo.com.
                  > Try it now.

                  Want to start your own business?
                  Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                  http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
                • matt_procter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Small world indeed. I am from Western PA but the company I work for
                    is headquartered in Darmstadt (Software AG). They sent me there for
                    some training in March. When my training was done I rented a car and
                    drove to Slovakia to visit my ancestral relatives. But just as I was
                    leaving the region got hit with the worst snowstorm in 15 years.

                    So a drive that should have taken 9 hours ended up being a 19 hour
                    odyssey. Apparently, like my current hometown of Wash, DC, they
                    don't get a lot of snow in that part of Germany so no one knows how
                    to handle it when it happens. The roads were a solid sheet of ice.
                    I have video of my literally standing on Germany's famed autobahn
                    with traffic completely stopped bumper to bumper as far as you oculd
                    see in either direction. As I crawled along the road there were
                    accidents and spin outs everywhere. Seventeen people died on the
                    roads that night.

                    I made every mistake a traveler could make. I was traveling alone.
                    Overnight. In a country I did not know. In bad weather My family
                    only had only the faintest idea of my whereabouts (I'm going to
                    Slovakia!). Every instinct I had told me to turn around and bag it.
                    But my heart kept saying this is my one shot to see my homeland.

                    A very long story short, I made it. And it was fantastic. But do
                    factor in the the traffic. And watch out for the weather! I
                    attached a few (not great) pictures of Darmstadt in the photos
                    section. I'm working on a little home video of my trip and will post
                    the link when it is finished.