Re: [S-R] Domovy List

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2006
      Thank you Sylvia and John too - your information was very helpful

      helene

      Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia <sali777@...> wrote:
      Hello Helen

      Domovy list is a form that residents were asked to fill in in order to complete Census. Domovy list inculded information type of house, how many rooms, if it had running water etc. although this may have varied.

      I hope this helps.

      Best wishes

      Sylvia

      ux <helenezx@...> wrote:
      I have been asked about a Domovy List issued to a Maria Mondok in 1925 - she lived in Krusovce, a village just outside of Topolcany. She came to America after that.

      I would guess this document was to prove her residence, citizenship - anyone have other info?

      helene

    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2006
        What information is found on the Domovy List? To be more specific, would
        the house number in which the person lived be listed?
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2006
          Not correct, Sylvia. Not correct.
          Vladimir

          ux <helenezx@...> wrote:
          I have been asked about a Domovy List issued to a Maria Mondok in 1925 - she lived in Krusovce, a village just outside of Topolcany. She came to America after that.

          I would guess this document was to prove her residence, citizenship - anyone have other info?

          helene

          __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

          http://www.eset.sk

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 29, 2006
            >>> To be more specific, would the house number in which the person
            lived be listed? <<<

            There is no house number on my mother's Domovy List.
          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
              Dear Helene,
              a week ago I sent you a scan of such a document. Since then no word about it. Have you received it?
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
                Dear Vladimir - thank you so much for sending it - so sorry I haven't replied.
                I was in the throes of doing my Slovakia magazine and getting it off to the printer. The new program I am using is so creative but has a very loooong learning curve.

                So thank you so much - i was fascinated to see the domovy list. So was it considered a town census record?? A personal record or what. Wound;t Domovy List be translated to House Record?

                i know that in Southern Bohemia the homes had their own genealogy - a list of all the families who lived in that house from the 1500s to the present.

                Then in Moravia my family gave us several Rodny List from WW II times - they told me this showed several generations back and was to prove there was no Jewish blood in the family; they had genealogy as your document does and I noted that your document was issued in 1939 and had a man born in 1922 and listed his father and grandfather and their birthdates.
                I noted the house number too.

                Some of the ones I originally wrote -the Mondok ones -came to me from a woman who will travel with us this summer - I find they vary a bit from place to place - hers had less genealogy info - her family left in the 1920s.

                helene

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
                  Dear Helen,
                  This document has nothing to do with the census.It is a document that proves someone's citizenship.You had one, you were a Slovak. You did not have one, you were a stranger.
                  The idea that people wrote them by themselves is ridiculous. Many could not write.
                  This is an official document with tax stamps. Have it translated and you will see.
                  Best regards,
                  Vladimir

                  I sent it to you just to stop the discussion, which went in an absolutely wrong way.

                  ux <helenezx@...> wrote:
                  I have been asked about a Domovy List issued to a Maria Mondok in 1925 - she lived in Krusovce, a village just outside of Topolcany. She came to America after that.

                  I would guess this document was to prove her residence, citizenship - anyone have other info?

                  helene

                  __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

                  http://www.eset.sk

                  __________ Informacia od NOD32 1909 (20061207) __________

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • Dr. Joe Q.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 10, 2006
                    If your are not a citizen of the USA you are an - - - ALIEN.

                    Is this the same meaning as "stranger" as in the French foreign legion
                    "e'trage`re"?

                    Dr. "Q"

                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Maybe I should have written foreigner. If you were not born in that place, if your father was not born in that place, then you were a foreigner.
                      Do we really have to split hair on that?
                      Vladimir

                      Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

                      > Dear Helen,
                      > This document has nothing to do with the census.It is a document that
                      > proves someone's citizenship.You had one, you were a Slovak. You did
                      > not have one, you were a stranger.
                      > The idea that people wrote them by themselves is ridiculous. Many
                      > could not write.
                      > This is an official document with tax stamps. Have it translated and
                      > you will see.
                      > Best regards,
                      > Vladimir
                      >
                      > I sent it to you just to stop the discussion, which went in an
                      > absolutely wrong way.

                      __________ Informacia od NOD32 1914 (20061211) __________

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Hi Vladimir - thanks for the further info on domovy list.

                        Don't think i ever said that people wrote their own. The Rodiny list that I spoke about were official documents as were the Slovak Domovy List ones I received.

                        Appreciate your input

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Dear Helen,
                          No , it was not you who said that, but the other person. This was misleading and therefore I sent the document.
                          Vladimir