Re: [S-R] Holic Records

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
      John,

      This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
      the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
      Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
      make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
      Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

      On 11/27/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > a map representation of the area? <<<
      >
      > CURRENT MAP
      > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
      > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
      >
      > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
      >
      > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
      >
      > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
      > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
      > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
      > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
        Dear all,
        Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
        There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has nothing to do with Holic.
        Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
        Vladimir

        This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
        the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
        Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
        make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
        Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

        > a map representation of the area? <<<
        >
        > CURRENT MAP
        > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
        > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
        >
        > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
        >
        > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
        >
        > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
        > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
        > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
        > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
          Vladimir,

          Thanks again for your assistance, and sorry I got so confused. I am
          completely satisfied. Tom

          On 11/27/06, Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:

          > Dear all,
          > Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v
          > Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
          > There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has
          > nothing to do with Holic.
          > Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
          > Vladimir

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
            Hi Tom - checked the Slovak Pride data base (now 25,000 listings) and found 40 surnames listed for Holic and 0 for Holice - Holice is down in the Hungarian region where whole villages speak Hungarian - this might be a clue -

            helene