Re: Eastern Catholocism

  • genealogyslovakia
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2006
      Dear Denise,

      I live in eastern Slovakia and I am greekcatholic.
      My grandfather was reverend of this church and in my
      tree of ancestors, there are 30 reverends as my xx-g-g-parents.
      I have my own website about this topic:
      http://www.cisarik.com
      The 'Great Schism' was between byzanth empire/orthodox-now also
      Moscow/ and Vatican /catholic/ in 11th century. And exaxtly later
      when Constantinopol was occupied by turkish after the battle.
      If I can help you with yoor questions, I will answer you.

      Juraj Cisarik
      Kosice, Slovakia

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Denise Slattery
      <billssis1998@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > This is an off topic email, so please forgive me. I could ask
      my mom and her cousins, but I don't think they would know the
      answers. Hence, my asking the list. Without alarming anyone, I
      would ask all replies to this email be directed to me personally, at
      billssis1998@...

      > My Slovakian and Hungarian ancestors had gone to an Greek
      Catholic Church when they lived here in the United States. I, too,
      was baptized in the Byzantine Catholic Church. However, due to my
      family's moving around the midwest while I was growing up, I
      attended Roman Catholic churches.

      > I am writing a paper on the Initiation ritual into the Eastern
      Catholic church: Baptism, Chrismation, and Eucharist. My questions
      are:

      > 1) In researching the history of the Eastern Catholic Church,
      the 'Great Schism' is described. Am I correct in saying this schism
      is between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, and not the
      Roman (Western) and Eastern Catholic Churches?

      > 2) What is the history of the Initiation ritual - how did the
      three sacraments become one, for Initiation of persons into the
      Eastern Catholic Church? Is there a book that I could purchase, or
      someone I can call, that would help me with the history of this?