Re: [S-R] Holic Records

  • Don Havlicek
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006
      Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:

      Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.

      My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.

      Don Havlicek

      helene cincebeaux wrote:

      > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
      >
      > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
      > km away.
      >
      > helene
      >
      > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
      > Thanks Again, Tom

      > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
      > >
      > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
      > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
      > >
      > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
      > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
      > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
      > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
      > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
      > >
      > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
      > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
      > > research at the archive.
      > >

      > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
      > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
      > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
        I feel Holic with an mark above the 'c' and Nitrianske are clearly what is
        indicated on the church record, but are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa
        or County, does anyone have a map representation of the area? I found a
        Holice, not Holic. Helene, please add Surany, Surani, and Kompor surnames to
        my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@...> wrote:

        > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
        >
        > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
        >
        > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
        >
        > Don Havlicek
        >
        > helene cincebeaux wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
        > >
        > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
        > > km away.
        > >
        > > helene
        > >
        > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
        > > John,
        > >
        > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
        > > Thanks Again, Tom

        > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
        > > >
        > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
        > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
        > > >
        > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
        > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
        > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
        > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
        > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
        > > >
        > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
        > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
        > > > research at the archive.
        > > >

        > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        > > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
        > > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
        > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
          Holic and Holice can both be found on Mapquest. Holic is very near the Czech
          border, while Holice is southwest of Bratislava.

          Janet

          _____

          my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.
          <mailto:n8de%40thepoint.net> net> wrote:

          > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
          >
          > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
          >
          > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
          >
          > Don Havlicek
          >
          > helene cincebeaux wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
          > >
          > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
          > > km away.
          > >
          > > helene
          > >
          > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@gmail. <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com> com
          <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > > John,
          > >
          > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
          > > Thanks Again, Tom
          > >
          > > On 11/25/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@rogers.
          <mailto:johnqadam%40rogers.com> com

          > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
          > > >
          > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
          > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
          > > >
          > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
          > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
          > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
          > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
          > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
          > > >
          > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
          > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
          > > > research at the archive.
          > > >

          > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
          > > > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
          ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
          > > <http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
          ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
          > > > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
          ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
          > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
            >>> are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa or County, does anyone have
            a map representation of the area? <<<

            CURRENT MAP

            ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

            Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.

            Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
            Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
            Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
            the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.
          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
              John,

              This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
              the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
              Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
              make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
              Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

              On 11/27/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

              > a map representation of the area? <<<
              >
              > CURRENT MAP
              > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
              > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
              >
              > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
              >
              > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
              >
              > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
              > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
              > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
              > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
              > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                Dear all,
                Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has nothing to do with Holic.
                Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                Vladimir

                This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
                the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
                Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
                make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
                Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

                > a map representation of the area? <<<
                >
                > CURRENT MAP
                > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                >
                > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                >
                > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
                >
                > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

                http://www.eset.sk

              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                  Vladimir,

                  Thanks again for your assistance, and sorry I got so confused. I am
                  completely satisfied. Tom

                  On 11/27/06, Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:

                  > Dear all,
                  > Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v
                  > Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                  > There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has
                  > nothing to do with Holic.
                  > Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                  > Vladimir

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                    Hi Tom - checked the Slovak Pride data base (now 25,000 listings) and found 40 surnames listed for Holic and 0 for Holice - Holice is down in the Hungarian region where whole villages speak Hungarian - this might be a clue -

                    helene