Eastern Catholocism

  • Denise Slattery
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      This is an off topic email, so please forgive me. I could ask my mom and her cousins, but I don't think they would know the answers. Hence, my asking the list. Without alarming anyone, I would ask all replies to this email be directed to me personally, at billssis1998@....

      My Slovakian and Hungarian ancestors had gone to an Greek Catholic Church when they lived here in the United States. I, too, was baptized in the Byzantine Catholic Church. However, due to my family's moving around the midwest while I was growing up, I attended Roman Catholic churches.

      I am writing a paper on the Initiation ritual into the Eastern Catholic church: Baptism, Chrismation, and Eucharist. My questions are:

      1) In researching the history of the Eastern Catholic Church, the 'Great Schism' is described. Am I correct in saying this schism is between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, and not the Roman (Western) and Eastern Catholic Churches?

      2) What is the history of the Initiation ritual - how did the three sacraments become one, for Initiation of persons into the Eastern Catholic Church? Is there a book that I could purchase, or someone I can call, that would help me with the history of this?

      Thank you, to everyone, in advance, for the answers and any help you can provide.

      Denise Slattery

    • genealogyslovakia
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2006
        Dear Denise,

        I live in eastern Slovakia and I am greekcatholic.
        My grandfather was reverend of this church and in my
        tree of ancestors, there are 30 reverends as my xx-g-g-parents.
        I have my own website about this topic:
        http://www.cisarik.com
        The 'Great Schism' was between byzanth empire/orthodox-now also
        Moscow/ and Vatican /catholic/ in 11th century. And exaxtly later
        when Constantinopol was occupied by turkish after the battle.
        If I can help you with yoor questions, I will answer you.

        Juraj Cisarik
        Kosice, Slovakia

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Denise Slattery