Re: [S-R] Holic Records

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
      Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church

      so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few km away.

      helene

      Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:
      John,

      Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
      Thanks Again, Tom

      On 11/25/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
      >
      > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
      > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
      >
      > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
      > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
      > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
      > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
      > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
      >
      > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
      > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
      > research at the archive.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006

        Not to confuse the issue BUT we have Holic' (accented c) and Holice,
        without accented c. The accent on the c changes the sound from "ts"
        to "ch".

        Holic' and Holice are different villages in western Slovakia.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006
          Point of clarification:

          You mention BOTH Holice and Holic' in the same message. These are
          DIFFERENT villages. Yours is Holic', very near the border with CR.
        • Don Havlicek
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006
            Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:

            Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.

            My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.

            Don Havlicek

            helene cincebeaux wrote:

            > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
            >
            > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
            > km away.
            >
            > helene
            >
            > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            > John,
            >
            > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
            > Thanks Again, Tom

            > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
            > >
            > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
            > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
            > >
            > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
            > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
            > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
            > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
            > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
            > >
            > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
            > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
            > > research at the archive.
            > >

            > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
            > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
            > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
              I feel Holic with an mark above the 'c' and Nitrianske are clearly what is
              indicated on the church record, but are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa
              or County, does anyone have a map representation of the area? I found a
              Holice, not Holic. Helene, please add Surany, Surani, and Kompor surnames to
              my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@...> wrote:

              > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
              >
              > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
              >
              > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
              >
              > Don Havlicek
              >
              > helene cincebeaux wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
              > >
              > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
              > > km away.
              > >
              > > helene
              > >
              > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > > John,
              > >
              > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
              > > Thanks Again, Tom

              > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
              > > >
              > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
              > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
              > > >
              > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
              > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
              > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
              > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
              > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
              > > >
              > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
              > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
              > > > research at the archive.
              > > >

              > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
              > > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
              > > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
              > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                Holic and Holice can both be found on Mapquest. Holic is very near the Czech
                border, while Holice is southwest of Bratislava.

                Janet

                _____

                my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.
                <mailto:n8de%40thepoint.net> net> wrote:

                > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
                >
                > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
                >
                > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
                >
                > Don Havlicek
                >
                > helene cincebeaux wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
                > >
                > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
                > > km away.
                > >
                > > helene
                > >
                > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@gmail. <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com> com
                <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > > John,
                > >
                > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
                > > Thanks Again, Tom
                > >
                > > On 11/25/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@rogers.
                <mailto:johnqadam%40rogers.com> com

                > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
                > > >
                > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
                > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
                > > >
                > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
                > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
                > > >
                > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
                > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
                > > > research at the archive.
                > > >

                > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                > > > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                > > <http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
                > > > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
                > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                  >>> are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa or County, does anyone have
                  a map representation of the area? <<<

                  CURRENT MAP

                  ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

                  Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.

                  Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                  Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                  Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                  the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.
                • Tom Potsko
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                    John,

                    This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
                    the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
                    Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
                    make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
                    Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

                    On 11/27/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                    > a map representation of the area? <<<
                    >
                    > CURRENT MAP
                    > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                    > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                    >
                    > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                    >
                    > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
                    >
                    > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                    > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                    > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                    > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                    > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                      Dear all,
                      Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                      There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has nothing to do with Holic.
                      Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                      Vladimir

                      This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
                      the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
                      Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
                      make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
                      Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

                      > a map representation of the area? <<<
                      >
                      > CURRENT MAP
                      > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                      > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                      >
                      > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                      >
                      > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
                      >
                      > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                      > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                      > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                      > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • Tom Potsko
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                        Vladimir,

                        Thanks again for your assistance, and sorry I got so confused. I am
                        completely satisfied. Tom

                        On 11/27/06, Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:

                        > Dear all,
                        > Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v
                        > Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                        > There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has
                        > nothing to do with Holic.
                        > Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                        > Vladimir

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                          Hi Tom - checked the Slovak Pride data base (now 25,000 listings) and found 40 surnames listed for Holic and 0 for Holice - Holice is down in the Hungarian region where whole villages speak Hungarian - this might be a clue -

                          helene